I am one of the Dell Certified System Expert.
For internet connection, there are two ways to connect to the internet. One is through wired connection (connecting LAN cable) and connecting to wireless connection (through wireless router or through wireless Modem WLAN).
For wireless check the switch located on the left side of the portable after switching check the status light located at the front left of the computer.
check the driver if it is properly installed meaning no bang(!) or question mark(?) for both ethernet (LAN port) and Wireless Device.
To check the driver go to control panel then device manager. Check the network and you should be seeing the ethernet and wireless device. If not installed use the driver cd that came with the computer.
How to check the internet connection.
For Wired connection:
First check the cable, check the LAN port in the computer there should be blinking lights, if none try to reseat the cable. Check the ipaddress of the computer and the default gateway.
This is the instruction to get the IP address and default gateway.
For windows xp
1. Click start, then choose run then on the box type CMD then click ok.
2. on the black screen type ipconfig. get the ip address and default gateway.
3. normally it will give you 192.168.XXX.XXX
4. try to type ping 192.168.XXX.XXX (this should be the gateway)
5. If you receive replies, then you are connected to the router/modem
6. then try to ping www.yahoo.com
7. if still reply then you are connected to the internet already, might be your issue is browser or security on the computer.
For vista and Windows 7
click windows then in the start search type cmd, you should be seeing cmd on the top, right click then choose run as administrator. then follow steps 2-7 above.
For wireless connection
Check the switch, and the status light, if all are checked checked the ip address and default gateway as well, the instruction is the same above.
For more information about setting up your system please refer to the link.
Hope this will help you a lot.
Thank you for choosing fixya