Question about D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router 4-Port Switch, 802.11g, QoS (DSL-2640B)
I recently changed to DSL with Centurytel and am using a D-link DSL-2640B ADSL2+ modem/wireless router. I seem to be able to connect to any web site except cannot get into McAfee to get updates for virus scan etc. I have been registered with McAfee for about 2 years. I even bought new McAfee Security Suite on CD. After unloading previous McAfee suite, loaded from the new CD and still cannot get into McAfee's web site for upgrades. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
I had a very similar problem after running the auto connect wizard. You've probably long got this figured out by now, but I'll post this for posterity.
Until I made this change, I was unable to connect to sites like mcafee.com, microsoft.com, msn.com, consumerist.com, etc.
When I ran the auto connect wizard, instead of choosing PPPoE, the system incorrectly chose PPPoA. Changing this to PPPoE cleared everything up for me! To make the change:
1) Navigate to your router by pulling up a web browser: http://192.168.1.1
2) log in as admin, default password admin (PLEASE CHANGE THIS AT SOME POINT IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY)
3) Click the yellow HOME tab
4) Click the WAN button on the left (it's the third button down on the left hand side of the screen)
5) There should be one configuration set up already. The settings probably read something like this
VPI/VCI Category Service Interface Protocol State Remove Edit Action
8/35 UBR pppoa_8_35 ppp_8_35_1 PPPoA Enabled <checkbox> <piece of paper>
Well the problem is that the protocol needs to be PPoE, NOT PPPoA. So...
6) Click the <piece of paper> under "Edit"
7) on the first page (ATM PVC Configuration), click Next
8) on the next page (Connection Type), change the selection from "PPP over ATM (PPPoA)" to "PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE)
9) Click Next
10) Assuming you have already put in your username and password, you can click Next (one note: I suggest clicking the "Keep Alive" option on this screen. It's the only checkbox I have selected)
11) I have "Enable NAT" and "Enable WAN Service" checked on this page and nothing else (though checking "Enable Firewall" probably won't hurt anything). Click Next
12) Click APPLY
13) Click Finish to reboot the system (may not be necessary, but couldn't hurt)
I hope that this helps someone out there!
Posted on Jun 07, 2009
I don't have a solution, but may have more information - I am having the exact same problem, but with a different router (linksys wireless g router and a cable modem).
I am unable to access any website with "mcafee" in the url on one PC, but can connect from another. Running tracert from the "bad" PC to www.mcafee.com times out at the local network (192.168.1.1). All this leads me to believe that the problem is tied to a local virus. There is no network-level keyword restriction, visible or hidden, confirmed by accessing www.mcafee.com from the good PC through the same router/modem.
Hope this helps.
Posted on May 11, 2008
You can't update but you can connect to the internet? try to check the settings configuration of your macAfee.
Posted on Mar 13, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 21, 2012 | D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router...
Oct 16, 2012 | D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router...
May 31, 2011 | D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router...
Sep 23, 2010 | D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router...
Aug 27, 2010 | D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router...
Aug 26, 2010 | D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router...
Sep 01, 2009 | D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router...
Dec 17, 2008 | D-Link ADSL2/2+ Modem/Wireless Router...
940 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: