Question about Olevia LT37HVS 37 in. LCD HDTV

1 Answer

Static electricity damaged my t.v.

My husband went to turn off the t.v. the other day and when he touched the power button he got a shock. now none of the controls on the t.v. work and the remote doesn't work. when we plug in the t.v., it turns on automatically and the channel that was last on comes on, but you can't change channels or do anything about the volume. Should we just get a new t.v. or can it be repaired??

thanks

my daughter tried to change the volume and the same thing happened. She couldn't change the volume or channel, so she unplugged it. Now the power light is the only thing that is on. Nothing happens when I turn on the power. 3 day old 42" LCD- what now?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 4 Answers

I think this model has a timer on it, it seems to go when the warranty runs out, not proven but Mine went out about a month ago. My only fix is to plug my tv (via the service port which is COVERED) to the usb port on my computer using my BlackBerry usb cable, in other words the Mini USB. Seemingly I must be logged on to do so and wait for the Chime form my pc, a balloon will pop up for new hardware not recognized (vista) then press the power button and then it turns on, unplug the usb cable and make sure the source is set to tv / video or else it will power back off and you will have to start all over. Theres NOT A PERMANENT fix yet but this is what I do every time I want to use the TV, I have a laptop so I use it as the Monitor just to watch movies. If you have a desktop I recommend keeping the cable handy BUT DO NOT LEAVE THE USB CABLE IN FOR LONG USES. THE SERVICE PORT IS COVERED FOR A REASON!!!

Posted on Apr 09, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My X46 only turns on by the remote but when it does turn on it only goes to the Sceptre screen then powers off again. When I shut it off the night before there was a static shock when I hit the power...


That little shock has between 500 to 21,000 volts. Sensitive transistors and microchips definitely get damaged permanently from static electricity.

Jan 22, 2014 | Sceptre X46BV TV

1 Answer

My daughter went to turn the tv off and had static electricity on her and tv went off and won't come back on


That tells me there is a bigger problem than that. I have several TVs in my house, none of which have ever been affected by static electricity before.

Feb 17, 2013 | Westinghouse Flat Panel Televisions

1 Answer

Jvc lt-z32s2 went dead and makes a static sound at back of unit.


check weather the power cord or component at the power supply board get burned.

Oct 02, 2012 | JVC Flat Panel Televisions

1 Answer

Polaroid TLA-04011c I was using my Polaroid TV as my desktops screen to watch a movie with friends. I always have had a problem with this when hooked up through the VGA input. Normally if the computer...


The first basic thing is the computer has no way to know the video status of the TV set. When driving a TV with a computer it is best to turn off all the power saving features and screen saver, or increase them to beyond the time limit you would require. This would prevent a shutdown.

As for the second part, it sounds like you had a bad static electricity spark. When connecting things together, caution must be taken for this type of thing. This static discharge must have done some damage to the input circuits on the TV set. I could also do damage to any of the other devices connected. It is also possible with a sever static electricity discharge the damage could go deeper than just the input circuits.

You should take the TV set in to the authorized service rep for an estimate. Unfortunately it may not be low in cost to service.

If the set is under warranty, don't tell the service rep about the static electricity discharge. Just tell them that the set is not functioning.


Jerry G.

Jan 06, 2011 | Flat Panel Televisions

1 Answer

My son was badly shocked today plugging in cable cord,large arc!


Sometimes TV's can, & do build up HUGE static charges on them, and if the area is dry, and there is carpet on the floor huge sparks of static electricity will arc out from TV, this is frightening, but relatively harmless, and happens infrequently, it happens due to the TV being at one potential, and the "Son" as another, charge is generated by walking across the carpet, and in TV it;s just a product of being "ON" When conditions are exactly right.... Zap.... touching any "Grounded" thing before approaching a TV is always a good idea. I have seen this and experienced this myself on a number of occasions, not always with TV's too. I assume it was static, due to the fact that you weren't also telling us your son was dead...If one got a huge arc and shock,from the mains, they seldom live to tell the tail. But static, just nips you, and you have a good story to tell. Now of course thats assuming that, that is what it was, in any event, please ensure you check over all cables for any damage or bare wires, replace if even slightest defect.

Mar 24, 2010 | Vizio VW32L 32 in. LCD HDTV

1 Answer

Our electricity went out and now we have it back on


Most times when a power outages occur, most everything that's plugged into an outlet receives a "Power Spike". Basically it's a shock wave traveling through the neighborhood power grid when the electricity turns OFF and ON.
Hopefully the TV didn't receive too much damage. Inside the TV, there is a fuse that may need to be replaced. Radio Shack or other electronic store will carry these fuses. If this doesn't solve the problem, the Power Supply Board maybe damaged.

Jan 28, 2010 | Polaroid FLM-3734B 37 in. LCD HDTV

1 Answer

Static shock when we turn tv off and it went blank


Look at the power supply first since it is easier to get to, look for burnt parts, bad capacitors, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
Please post back what you find.

Nov 15, 2009 | Akai LCT3285TA 32 in. LCD Television

2 Answers

TV won't turn on.


Stevenson

the fact that you got shock is because something is not right inside the tv. You need to have that tv check because a manufacturer will not fabricated a tv that can electrocute anyone, specially when you turn the volume. Static electricity is always present in front of any tv that might be the cause of why you got shock. By removing your coat, and touch some metallic object you may get electrocuted, because of static electricity. Please, I want you to have that tv check, I can check that tv for you. I felt something is wrong inside the tv, and something is loose inside like pennies and toys objects. That's my impression. My e-mail address Stevebuy31@hotmail.com

Jan 02, 2009 | Akai PDP4225M 42 in. Plasma Television

2 Answers

Ilo-32hd


I'm having the same problem. And yes, it's probably from static shock because I shocked the tv when I went to turn it on the other day. Now nothing, it goes on but none of the button work. Is there anything we can do about this? Help!

Feb 29, 2008 | iLO 3200 32 in. LCD Television

Not finding what you are looking for?
Olevia LT37HVS 37 in. LCD HDTV Logo

1,567 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Olevia Flat Panel Televisions Experts

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

68250 Answers

Dave Naylor
Dave Naylor

Level 3 Expert

834 Answers

Jaime Hernandez

Level 3 Expert

2267 Answers

Are you an Olevia Flat Panel Television Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...