An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
An expert that has over 10 points.
An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.
Re: thanks for the assistance
Its not a very complex thing to do, remove the jumper from its current slot and place it in the next one, if ur harddisk is using the same IDE cable with the CD then u need to disconnect the CD or buy another IDE cable for the CD. U can read more by downloading this file from this site:
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
1. Decide which hard drive will be the startup (master) drive. If this drive was the startup drive previously, or if it's a new hard drive, then the master drive designation will already be set.
2. To change the designation of a new drive to be a slave drive, skip to step 4.
3. To change the designation of an existing drive to be a slave drive: Turn off the computer, unplug the power cord, remove the drive from its drive bay, and disconnect the drive from its power cord and ribbon cable.
4. Check the hard drive documentation or the label on the drive itself for master/slave jumper settings.
5. Find the jumpers on the circuit board of the drive. Jumpers are plastic plugs with metal sleeves that form a circuit between a pair of pins. Jumper locations are labeled on the board with a J followed by a number (such as J20).
6. Use tweezers or very small pliers to remove or reposition the jumpers to the configuration shown in the documentation or on the disk label.
7. Install (or reinstall) the hard drive in the computer. (See "How to Install a Second Hard Drive.")
If you don't put jumper in harddrive is detects it as cable select means if you connect your harddrive to middle socket of ide cable and then it detects it as slave but if you connect it at the end of ide cable it detects as slave.But make sure that otehr device is not set as master only 1 device is set as master or slave . Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks for using FixYa.
You can make it slave with jumper settings check in back side of harddrive you can see jumper which is connected to 2 pin of harddrive. Read instruction on harddrive you can read how to set jumper for make it slave. Then you ca use it as slave. Let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks for using FixYa.
if you want to boot from this drive, please set the jumper to the master position.
if this drive is for additional storage, please set the jumper to slave. and make sure 1st hard drive is set to master.
if this is the only drive in the system, please set the jumper to single or remove the jumper.
there will be a chart telling you which pins are for which setting in the jumper area, which is between the data plug and the power plug on the back of your HDD.
main thing that will cause drives to not work is 2 jumpers on the same cable and they both are set to the same thng.. i.e. master/master or slave/slave. also, if one is set to single drive it will likely bypass the slave drive.
"Now for a refresher course on hard drive connections. When connectingmore than one hard drive to a computer on the same IDE controller, yougenerally have to assign one as the primary (master) and one as thesecondary (slave). You do this by changing the jumpers on the harddrive next to the power connector. Normally, the drive will have adiagram to let you know which jumper should be set for a master driveand which to set for a slave drive. You'll notice in the picture belowthe jumpers are circled on the end of the drive and the top of thedrive shows the diagram to follow."
Go here http://www.pchell.com/hardware/masterslaveorcableselect.shtml for more..
Check on harddrive you find jumper on it. Then read on harddisk you can find there is specifiaction for master, slave and cable select jumper settings. Put jumper as cable select then check. Also reconnect sata or ide and power cable to harddisk. Then check . Let me know if you need more assistance. Thanks.