Question about JVC GR-D290 Mini DV Digital Camcorder

2 Answers

Cannot transfer video to Laptop computer through USB

I'm having problem in transferring video to my laptop computer through USB port.

My laptop is Acer Aspire 1640, Pentium M Processor 1.73GHz Centrino, RAM512 MB, Hard drive60 GB, OS Windows XP Prof., Service Pack 2.

Though it is recognize by the laptop and I'm able to control the stop, play, rewind, forward buttons from the PC. However, when I start recording the video to my PC, in windows movie maker I get an error message "An error has occurred with your capture device. Check that it is configured properly and try again. If necessary, refer to the documentation for the capture device for more information." I also tried to use Powerdirector the software that came along with the Camcorder but it captures for only 4 seconds and stops. I'm pretty sure that I have installed correctly the software of the Camcorder as well as the video codec software. My laptop also supports USB2. I'm using USB cable to transfer video since the laptop has no firewire port.

However, I am able to transfer the video using my desktop computer in my office through its USB port even without installing the software that came along with the camcorder. I only use the windows movie maker software. The PC configuration is Pentium 4 2.5 GHz, RAM512 MB, OS Windows XP Prof., Service Pack 2.

Please some body help me to solve this problem.

Thank you and more power to all experts.

Posted by on


2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 3 Answers

I bought my JVC GR-270 (same as GR-290, but no remote) in 2004. On page 45, top right hand column of either manual (the original and the on-line one on this site) the claim is made that "Using USB cable it is possible to do the following things: Transfer still/MOVING images recorded on a tape to a PC." After many unsuccessful attempts at trying to use the USB cable for transferring moving images to my PC, I called JVC technical dept. They told me that the MANUAL WAS WRONG....and that in order to transfer MOVING images, I needed to purchase a FIREWIRE cable. Indeed, that is the solution. However, If your PC has no FIREWIRE input jack you must also purchase a FIREWIRE adapter card. Don't skimp on these items, get a well shielded cable and a name brand adapter.
What burns me is that I looked at the manual in the store and only purchased the camera because it claimed that the enclosed USB cable would work for moving images. JVC denies responsibility, even though their manual is clearly wrong, and they know it.

Posted on Apr 14, 2008


Try getting a ExpressCard or if you have a later modle try a CardBus that has firewire then use a firewire cadle to transfer the video

Posted on Mar 23, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

5 Answers

How can I transfer long videos from iPhone to laptop?

Ibrahem, Check the attached links,instruction and guides how to transfer your vids. Good luck
"I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button. Check out some of my other posts if you need more tips and info."

May 30, 2016 | Cell Phones

2 Answers

How do i transfer video from my phone to my computer. My phone is a SCH-u740 Samsung

One way to do it is if you have a laptop with bluetooth. You can pair your phone with your laptop and transfer files that way.

Jun 11, 2011 | Samsung SCH-u740 Cellular Phone

2 Answers

How to transfer the video from my Sony Hi-8 video camera to my laptop. What are the additional hardware items and softwares that I need to do so? I have windows movie maker and AVS editor softwares on my...

You have to have a cable to go from your Camera to your Computer. The computer side will undoubtedly be USB. The camera side will probably mini USB - but could be different based on the camera.

You might need some drivers on your Computer so that it recognizes the external device (camera). If your lucky - it will "find it" on it's own.

The cable you need probably did not come with your camera - as manufacturers have become increasingly cheap. See picture of Mini-USB Cable.

Another option is popping out the memory card and either inserting it into the memory card port on your computer (alot of laptops have them) or getting an adapter (Memory Card to USB) - see picture. Size of adapter will depend on the memory card.


Jan 23, 2018 | Sony Handycam CCD-TRV107E Camcorder

1 Answer

I want to capture video from DS65 to my laptop through USB

To transfer video from your camcorder to your computer you will need a firewire cable (IEEE 1394). Only with this cable you will be able to transfer video.

Please note that you will also need a firewire port on your computer. if you don't have one then you can buy a firewire PCI card from your local copmuter shop.

After you have installed your firewire port and connected your camera, you will need a video processing system. Windows Movie Maker is on Windows XP and it comes for free. Run it, and click on capture to begin the transfer of your video to your laptop.

Please see the following link for more info and pictures on firewire cables and ports.


Apr 08, 2010 | Panasonic NV-DS65 Mini DV Digital...

1 Answer

Can't upload to my laptop!

Option 1:

If you want to use the USB cable to connect the Camera to the Computer to transfer the video to the Computer then:

(Applicable for Vista Operating System Only.)

This Camcorder does not support USB streaming with the VISTA Operating System. Use an i.LINK cable to transfer the video to the Computer. The i.LINK port is also called IEEE 1394 or Firewire port. (An i.LINK is a black D shaped connector with 4 or 6 pins. The type of cable to be used will depend on the i.LINK port of your Computer. The Sony Camcorder will have the 4 pin i.LINK cable and if the computer has the 6 pin i.LINK port, then you may have to use the 4 pin to 6 pin i.LINK Cable).

You can use any video capturing software like Windows Movie Maker to transfer the video from the Computer.

Refer this Link for the instruction to transfer the video to the Computer using i.LINK cable.

NOTE: As the Camcorder does not support USB streaming with Vista, it is not required to use any Sony Device Driver to transfer the video to the Computer. You do not require any Drivers or Software from Sony to transfer the video from the Camcorder to the Computer using the i.LINK/Firewire interface.

Option 2:

(Applicable for Windows XP Operating System only):

If you are using a Windows XP Operating System then you have to install the USB Streaming Driver in the Computer from the supplied Software disk with the Computer.

Check this Link for the instruction to transfer video to a Computer using USB Streaming.

If you do not have the supplied Software disk then I suggest that you use the i.LINK cable to transfer the video.

Your Camcorder does not supports a Wireless MIC. However, you can use a MIC with your Camcorder using the available Accessories Shoe port.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 18, 2009 | Sony Handycam DCR-PC110 Mini DV Digital...

1 Answer

Sony DCR-TRV8 video transfer problems

The USB drive for Sony CAM you can download from Sony web but the USB will not allow you to transfer video from your CAM only for memory stick
However if you have firewire input on your Laptop, have you? normaly if you have firewire input on your laptop as soon as you connect your CAM it will detect automatic either with windown movies maker or with Nero
Sometime the firewire from CAM defect I repaired a few of them with this problem
Can you conect this CAM to another computer or try different cable ?
Or tell me exactly what input you have on your laptop such firewire input, PCMCIA slot

Dec 04, 2008 | Sony Handycam DCR-TRV8 Mini DV Digital...

2 Answers

Transfer photos to laptop

You need to install itunes on your laptop so your iphone can sync with itunes and your computer.. this is used to tranfer music to your iphone, transfer photo's and video etc and also to check for new firmware versions/back up your phone.

You can however take photo's from your iphone without itunes if you connect your phone via usb and choose open folder to view files when the dialog pops up after you plug it in.. this has very limited use however you really need to install itunes. Itunes is a free download

May 11, 2008 | Apple iPhone Smartphone

8 Answers

Downloading from sony dcr trv265e to computer winxp

I need to download from a digital video camera (sony dcr trv285e) to a laptop. i have lost all drivers and softwares. i manage to find the usb driver but i cannot transfer the video to my laptop.Is there a software that i need?

Feb 13, 2008 | Sony Handycam DCR-TRV265E Digital...

Not finding what you are looking for?
JVC GR-D290 Mini DV Digital Camcorder Logo

767 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top JVC Video Cameras Experts

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

Larry Stiles
Larry Stiles

Level 2 Expert

287 Answers

Steven Wander
Steven Wander

Level 3 Expert

593 Answers

Are you a JVC Video Camera Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides