Question about Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Would appreciate step by step instructions on door latch install
Here ya go. Read through the instructions carefully before beginning any disassembly. This repair is not difficult as long as you follow these steps:
1. Unplug washer.
2. Remove the outer portion of the door bellow. This is the gray rubber boot around the door. Feel around the edge of the door bellow where it attaches to the front of the washer. You will find a wire retaining hoop in the seam between the rubber and the front case. Follow this wire hoop to the bottom of the door bellow and you will find a tension spring. Carefully, stretch this spring apart and remove the wire hoop.
3. Pull the rubber bellow from the door facing on the front of the washer being careful not to rip or tear it. Once removed, fold the rubber backwards inside the drum so you can access behind the front panel. DO **T remove the rubber bellow from the wash tub. This requires more steps, which means removing more parts, which means more time (plus patience).
4. The door latch assembly is located behind the front panel of the washer on the right hand side. Locate and remove the three screws on the washer front that hold the door latch assembly in place. The whole assembly should come free from the washer front and be held by a plastic mounting bracket and several wire connectors.
5. Carefully remove the latch assembly from the plastic mounting bracket BEFORE attempting to unplug any wires. It makes it much easier to access if you do.
6. Unplug the wire connectors using care not to break any of the wires. You may want to write them down, but I believe they will only plug into their respective slots.
7. Remove the old door latch and install the new one in the reverse order of the steps I just presented to you. Plug the wires back in first, then place the whole assembly back into the plastic mounting bracket, and then reattach to the front of the washer.
8. Now, when you get the reinstalling the rubber door boot, you may want to get the assistance of a second pair of hands as it can be difficult sometimes to manipulate the wire retainer back into place. Carefully reattach the rubber bellow to the door facing on the front of the washer first.
9. Starting at the top of the door bellow at the 12 o'clock position begin inserting the wire hoop back into the groove. Work your way around with both hands to the 4 and 8 o'clock positions. (This is where you could use those second pair of hands). While holding a slight downward tension on the wire hoop to keep it in place, pull the tension spring apart enough to snap the remaining part of the hoop into place at the bottom.
Once you've completed these steps make sure the door closes and latches properly. ***** slam a door with an electronic latch. They can break easily.
Now plug the washer back in. At the control panel select:
and under OPTIONS press any key (has the be the same key) 4 times.
This places the washer into diagnostics mode. "C00" will be displayed on the screen and you should hear a distinctive "click" of the door latch. If diagnostics passes, the washer will run through a series of tests, tumble, drain and then spin. When completed, the unit will make an audible "beep" and the CLEAN light will be lit.
You can stop this process at any time by press the PAUSE/CANCEL button. Good luck to you and let me know if you have any further questions.
Posted on Mar 09, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 18, 2014 | Kenmore Kitchen Ranges
Nov 01, 2012 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Jan 07, 2011 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Jan 04, 2010 | Kenmore Elite Oasis 27052 Top Load Washer
Sep 07, 2009 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Apr 21, 2009 | Kenmore 46462 Front Load Washer
Aug 05, 2008 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Nov 25, 2007 | Washing Machines
Apr 28, 2007 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
Nov 19, 2015 | Kenmore Elite 45986 Front Load Washer
68 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: