- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
On the Archos:
In the settings menu from the front screen, set your Archos to 'PC Hard Drive' instead of Windows Media Player. If it doesn't show as an external hard drive when you plug it into your pc, do this....
On the pc:
Go to Start\run, type diskmgmt.msc and click ok to take you into Disk Management. Your Archos should show as a drive in here and you can associate your new drive with a drive letter.
If you cannot see your Archos in this windowafter you've set it to 'PC Hard Drive' on the Archos, then you may have a dodgy usb cable.
You should keep your eye on the device after its been plugged to the PC it will give you 2 options "charge" or "usb" you ca not establish a connection without picking usb connection option on the Archos screen when it pops up. If you are doing so and problem still existed then i would recommend you to download the latest windows media player. Because it comes with new devices sync driver update.
I fixed my son's 605 4 GB had Recovery code (104) on it These are the steps i followed
* Use the computer for this process that you always used for this archos
* Download the firware Upgrade 2.1
* Plug the Archos to Pc
* When the white screen comes up do format
* Wait until all done then put the firmware in to the root sector of the Archos
* Safely remove the usb for Archos from your pc first and then unplug the cable.
* Do not pick any option on the Archos screen
* Just turn it off from the power button by holding it until it turns off
* Wait about 5 minutes and plug in back to pc
it will come up with white screen again but this time it will start
Update you will see the progress bar moving wait until it is all done
and it will shut off. Turn it back on Your archos will be back to normal.
When you go to download from Archos site it will explain how to download depending upon how your device pops up on your Pc.
Hope this helps
3. Copied update to root of archos drive and rebooted
4. Archoes installed the update and rebooted and came up to desktop again
5. reinstalled plugins (thank god I saved them) copied plug-in to root.
6. Back on the road again
I managed to overcome the problem by doing a factory reset. Unfortunately doing this initially created more problems in that on reboot the main screen appearance looked as it should but was almost inoperable. When the usb cable was connected to my pc the disc did appear on My Computer . The system folder was only 1MB. By good fortune I had copied and saved my Archos files before I carried out the factory reset. Copying the original system files ( about 20MB) back to my Archos returned normal behaviour. Further, two additional buttons appeared. One was a manual arclibrary update button and the other a USB setup button . I cannot get file transfer to operate under windows media player mode and Windows media player 11. No problem though. I use PC hard drive mode and carry out a manual arclibrary update. None of this was possible prior to the factory reset. I believe I would still be having serious problems had I not saved and restored my system files