Question about Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-32FS120 32" TV

2 Answers

TV Does Not Turn ON

Aloha!! Home experienced power outage last night. At time of loss of power, I heard a "popping", smelled electrical sparks and got increased background noise on my telephone line.
Today: 1.ComCast Cable replaced the modem for the Cable/Internet/Voix links; 2. QWest replaced a component in their box attached to the house; 3. Brinks (Alarm Co.) has been called for "burn marks" on the circuit board (installed circa 1970); 4. Plumber received electrical shock when securing water shut-off valve (grounding wire not attached to grounding rod) and 5. Electrical company checked the meter and line voltage input to house after "blown" transformers replaced earlier in day. (Old unit had an "anereseum (sp?)" and about 30 homes lost power last night for about eight (8) hours. fyi-----2 PCs and electronic equipment protected by surge protectors (no damage to electronics in home office). When home went "dark" I shut down all light switches, opened the Microwave door and secured all circuit breakers on my 200amp box (So, when power came back on last night, there was no "requirement" for power at by box and my "demand" for power was not until early this morning when I brought power on one CB at a time. Issue----the 36" Sony Trinitron TV will not turn on and there appears no indicator that power is on the unit (backlit switch) when engaging switch. Wall outlet power and DVD player in the immediate vicinity is properly operating. Ques-Do you suspect that the high voltage circuit (or something) got fried and repair is possible!?!??!? (My concern is hauling the unit off the shelf and out the door----It's BIG and BULKY.....est. the weight to be at least 145# and too large to get arms around....definitely a two man operations just to get the unit to the truck/pickup!!) Mahalo!! Bill

Posted by on

2 Answers

Right now I am checking out the fuse!!
Open up the back of the TV case and on the back of the case close to the power code, there is a small fuse that may have blown. I have the black one in my pocket now and will get a new one and check it out.......If this is not the answer, it may be time to hoof it over to the local repair shop;......Done about all a non-technicial can do now and it'll be up to them with the bells/whistles and voltmeters!! Bill

Posted on Mar 10, 2008

Same problem here. Anybody knows how to fix it?

Posted on Mar 10, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Last night I heard a loud pop sound come from my computer and then it shut down. I tried to start up the computer but it didn't turn on. None of the fans turned on either so I concluded something is wrong...


Yes, and the power supply needs replacing.
4 screws hold the power supply to the cabinet or case these are usually located outside visible at the fan vents at the four corners.


Apr 19, 2010 | Ultra Products Ultra LS500 Lifetime Series...

1 Answer

TURNS ON AND OFF IMMEDIATELY . HEARD POPPING AND SMELLED ELECTRICAL BURN BEFORE 1ST TIME


More than likely a burned power supply. The acrid smell is a giveaway for high powered components failing. If it were a conventional CRT type screen, I would suspect the flyback transformer, but LED/LCD type screens will eat a power supply if it has the slightest defect in manufacturing.

Jan 26, 2010 | Sanyo DS32920 32" TV

1 Answer

Sharp R-1480 failed after a power outage


It's most likely the low voltage transformer that's part of the circuit board or a blown trace on the board. The HV transformer would only burn and smell if the unit was in a cook cycle.

The complete board assembly is only around $80. If you're really handy, you can order just the little transformer, but you'd have to remove (unsolder) the old one and install (resolder) the new one on. The circuit board is one assembly and it takes all of 30 minutes or less to replace from start to finish.

Check with Martin Microwave Inc. @ 1-877-894-0035 to order or to inquire.

Oct 30, 2008 | Sharp R-1480 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Toshiba 50hp66


I think that the pop you heard was an electrolytic capacitor blowing its top on the picture frame board. If you are able to check this for yourself by looking on the board for the one/s with a bulging top or are a brownish/black colour like something has caught fire. And also in this situation smell can be of great help as it will smell burnt out but PLEASE before putting your nose or anything else in the tv take all necessary precautions against electric shock and discharge any electrolytic capacitors in the vicinity. If you are not able to do this yourself find a competant technician. Hope this helps.

Jul 16, 2008 | Toshiba 50HP66 50 in. Plasma Television

2 Answers

No Power to my TV after power outage


A lot of times its simply a fuse that goes out. Either way someone is going to have to open it up and inspect the fuses first. It 's a fairly inexpensive service call.

Hopefully the fuse took the hit from the storm.

Jun 04, 2008 | Televison & Video

3 Answers

No power


I also have this television and the power just went out. But, before there was a smell. I did not hear the pops. The television is 3 years old.

What do you suggest. What could be the problem. It appears that others have had this problem.

May 10, 2008 | Apex Digital GB4308 43" Rear Projection...

2 Answers

Tv won't come on


Sounds like the typical power surge created by the outage has caused a power supply problem inside your TV. IF that is it, there not much you can do yourself.

Nov 07, 2007 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

Sparks


Where exactly are the sparks coming from? If you remove the back of the TV, can you see exactly where the sparks are coming from?

Sep 14, 2007 | Sanyo DS24425 24" TV

2 Answers

Loss of picture


Fixed this problem today.. Go to Menu > Setup > AV Connections (Select Home Theater) > "Locked to Input 1", select "No" or "Off". Voila!

Aug 06, 2007 | Mitsubishi VS-60603 60" Rear Projection...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sony FD Trinitron WEGA KV-32FS120 32" TV Logo

102 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sony Televison & Video Experts

kakima

Level 3 Expert

101551 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

71672 Answers

Jerry Greenberg
Jerry Greenberg

Level 3 Expert

1646 Answers

Are you a Sony Televison and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...