I was online (using wireless) and suddenly lost the internet service. Disconnected power on my cable modem (like I normally would), waited, and plugged it in again. This usually works. It didn't. I tried the wireless assistant, and it kept saying it didn't support my router. I tried to reset the router (via reset button).....didn't work. I tried to reinstall the modem.....didn't work. I have service if I plug the cable modem into the laptop, but not if I try to connect via wireless router. Any ideas?
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Your Internet service provider is comcast cable company. You need to open the setup page of the router and change the Internet connection settings manually.
Connect the computer to the router and modem to the router. Open the setup page of the router using 192.168.1.1 Click on MAC address clone. Enable it and click save settings. Power cycle the router and your main computer will be online. Then you can change the wireless settings manually.
Configure the Router1.Step 1 Open your web browser, type " http://192.168.1.1/ " into the address bar and hit "Enter." 2.Step 2 Use "Admin" as the username in the pop-up box and leave the password blank. 3.Step 3 Connect to the Internet and click on "Internet Setup." 4.Step 4 Select your connection type from the drop-down menu. Choose "DHCP" for cable modems or "PPPoE" for most DSL modems. If you are unsure of these options, check with your ISP. 5.Step 5 Set a service set identifier (SSID) to identify the router and change the password. 6.Step 6 Encrypt your wireless connection using a Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP) key. Under the "Wireless Security" option, enter a passphrase and click "Generate." This will generate a password which will need to be used by any client connecting to your router.
As last resort you might want to use a JTAG cable and debricking programming software. If your router is brikced or you want to change the firmware this cable can do it. The cable will connect to your parallel port and your wireless router so you can repair your router. They are about $5.95.
Check the settings of the router. Who is your internet service provider ? First check that your computer is able to go online when connected directly to the modem. if you are online through the modem then you will need to set up your router. Click Here for more info
What do you want to know about the ports? The one separated from the other ports is the Internet port. that is where you're going to connect the cable from your modem. The other four are the ethernet port where you will connect the computers.
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.
The first thing we need to insure is that you are connecting to this router via cable and not wirelessly, though it is possible to configure the router via a wireless connection it is very much not recommended for various reasons. If you ARE connecting via wire, please be specific as to what happens after you enter 126.96.36.199 in the HTTP line of your browser.