Our over the oven microwave shuts off all the time when cooking popcorn, bacon, baked potatoes. it doesn't trip the gfi, it just shuts down and has no lights or power. if you cook for over 4 mins. it does this and its always done it home depot told us it was normal, it was overheating. i don't think its normal.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.
Re: magic chef over the oven microwave shuts off.
Is not normal for a microwave to shutdown after 4 minutes of operation.
From the info you are providing, It looks like the magnetron might be overheating causing the thermal fuse to shut it down until it cools down. There may also be a loose connection in one of the switches or a cold solder joint in the low voltage power supply.
I would suggest to check and make sure that the fans are functional, If always did; it could be that there isn't much air circulation where the appliance was installed.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Sounds like the magnetron is over heating. Try putting a 4 0z cup of water in the oven along side the popcorn bag. See if this helps. Usually, the oven only runs 2 to 2.5 minutes for a bag of popcorn. You may have to experiment with the slightly different cooking time...
I am not surprised! Cloth of anysort is not recommended to be placed in a microwave oven!
That includes undies and socks which many try to speed the drying time of.
Regarding the popcorn.. The oven is overheating due to a possible containment in a hutch, where insufficient airflow is available to lower the temperature. Pull the unit away from the wall to allow more airflow, clean the vents and help it breathe.
Does your microwave have a "popcorn" setting and are you using it? Is there a rotating table in your machine? Is your popcorn bag elevated on top of a bowl or similar? Are you using some other "sensor" setting? Can you use straight time setting and get it to go past the 1 min 45 second mark?
On my microwave, it takes just about that much time and the popcorn is done ... BUT only if I elevate the bag to about the middle of the oven.
I have the same problem with my new magic cheff over the stove microwave oven. I call magic chef and they gave me the 800 number for the service center (1-800-775-0202). When I described the problem they told me to just put a plate under the popper and this wouldn't happen anymore. I haven't tried it yet but here's hoping.
You are running the risk of damaging the Magnatron by doing this.
Check the packets you are using, you will have to reduce your power output.
This is because microwaves act by being absorbed by water. There is very little in popcorn and in fat. Once this has been evaporated, the microwave energy builds up (as it is still being produced - but not absorbed), and ends up cooking the magnatron itself.
I have seen countless posts on here after cooking popcorn!
More fun on the hob anyway - and cheaper to buy in bulk!
We had the same problem with our brand new Magic Chef. Before going through the trouble of taking it back I called Home Depot. After talking to a Home Depot Rep I am told that the overheat sensor is under the glass plate directly beneath the popcorn bag. Popcorn gets very hot and the heat of the popcorn causes the sensor to shut the machine down. I would imagine this would be the same for a baked potato.
Very poor design.
I was told to put a microwave safe plate down and put the popcorn bag on it. This should help to reduce the heat and not trip the sensor.
A safety sensor is great, but not if it keeps tripping the machine and shutting down!