a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
This kind problem is usually associated with the door micro switches. What happens is the switches are supposed to prevent operation when the door is open and other things. When one fails, often the oven will run with the door open or closed. There are a number of these micro switches inside and they protect the user from certain unintended actions or combinations of actions. This usually happens with well used ovens. There are extremely dangerous voltages inside a microwave over, even when not connected to power. Find a tech who knows these things.
I am not surprised! Cloth of anysort is not recommended to be placed in a microwave oven!
That includes undies and socks which many try to speed the drying time of.
Regarding the popcorn.. The oven is overheating due to a possible containment in a hutch, where insufficient airflow is available to lower the temperature. Pull the unit away from the wall to allow more airflow, clean the vents and help it breathe.
The first thing I would do is thoroughly clean the inside. Take particular care when cleaning around the upper left side. Sometimes a buildup of food steam or spray can cause the problem you are having. Never spray anything into the microwave, in an attempt to clean it.
Hope this helps.
IF YOU USE THE MICRO WAVE ALOT WHEN YOU COOK SOMETHING THE STEAM FROM THE FOOD BUILDS ON THE INSIDE AND CAUSES THIS PROBLEM. THE HINGES ARE OPEN AREAS WHERE THIS STEAM CAN COLLECT. NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT
IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT HAPPEN
You would have to remove the top cover and check to see if the main fuse is blown. Usually a 20 amp slo-blow. There are thermal cut out devices, they will reset when the unit cools, so plug it in the next day and see if the clock and power is back up. good luck, Dale
The problem appears, at least in part, to the door latch circuitry which cannot be serviced by the owner. If the unit is still in warranty, call GE customer care. If not, replacing the unit is your best bet. I just bought a new GE 1100 watt oven with great features for less than $100 If the door dosen't latch correctly, you could be exposed to dangerous microwave energy.
You are running the risk of damaging the Magnatron by doing this.
Check the packets you are using, you will have to reduce your power output.
This is because microwaves act by being absorbed by water. There is very little in popcorn and in fat. Once this has been evaporated, the microwave energy builds up (as it is still being produced - but not absorbed), and ends up cooking the magnatron itself.
I have seen countless posts on here after cooking popcorn!
More fun on the hob anyway - and cheaper to buy in bulk!
We had the same problem with our brand new Magic Chef. Before going through the trouble of taking it back I called Home Depot. After talking to a Home Depot Rep I am told that the overheat sensor is under the glass plate directly beneath the popcorn bag. Popcorn gets very hot and the heat of the popcorn causes the sensor to shut the machine down. I would imagine this would be the same for a baked potato.
Very poor design.
I was told to put a microwave safe plate down and put the popcorn bag on it. This should help to reduce the heat and not trip the sensor.
A safety sensor is great, but not if it keeps tripping the machine and shutting down!