- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
hi this is not a base radio its a mobile rig and the power supply is in fact 13.8v constant you should have positive (RED) and negative (BLACK) remove this plastic plug ,your lead should fit iinto the power socket at the back ,run the power lead to a power supply or 12v battery make sure not to reverse the wirering plus to plus minus to minus goodluck
First of all you only have the Power wire Red, and the ground wire Black to connect for 12v DC to power the unit. If you memory power it is usually connected to a constant power source such as the cigarette lighter or continuous 12V dc powersupply off of the battery. These are the only connections that should be connected to provide power. Since the unit will not turn on I suspect that the CB's power supply and regulator have been blown. Another possible choice is that the radio was working and someone removed the antenna cable and the the RF power amplifier malfunctioned taking the power supply and regulator with it.
To solve this problem, check the voltages on the wires before connecting them to the radio (these should be the 12 volt power off of the radio circuit, and the 12 volt power off of the continuous 12V connector (or the cigarette lighter). These voltages should read 12V.
Connect the CB with it turned off and measure the voltages (should be 12V)
Turn the radio on and check the voltages (should be a little less than 12V)
If the radio does not come on then the internal power supply of the radio might be defective (In this case I would advise taking the CB to a qualified radio repair shop)
I hope this helps
I believe that that might be your voltage regulator heating up. This means that there is an internal short in the system. To tesat this properly you will need a 12V power supply, a multimeter, the specifications, and a dummy load antenna.
1) take the cover off of the CB.
2) turn the multimeter on DC current and connect it in series with the red power lead of the CB and connect the red to the + of the power supply. then connect the black lead to the - of the power supply
3) look at the specifications and record the current drain when the unit is receiving not transmitting (write this down), Then power up the CB and record the current drain. If it is high it denotes a short circuit, if it is low then there is an open.
3) look for smoke comming from the rear of the CB this will tell you what component is heating up, locate it on the schematic and see wheat the problem is.
4) replace the bad components
I hope this helps,
a mobile cb radio like the cobra 29 requires 12V DC, to plug the radio into the wall you need a Power Supply. A small 5 amp power supply will help you. Their is no plug that goes Directly from a Mobile CB rado into a wall. You will need to plug a power supply into the wall, Then take the power chord (red and black with 3 prong [o oo] and connect red to red on the power supply and black to black on the power supply. Unfortunatly a cheap power supply will be $50+ check your local radioshack
i dont know what AC DC adator your using. you should look into a 12V power supply. or plugging that into a RF canceling power strip, like a monster power strip. TV's that are on or other appliances may cause high noise levels on the CB, make sure your coax is good, your antennas good, and all jumpers are good. its hard to tell with out looking at it, but do a quick once over of the system.... you are using a base antenna right? if not you need to create radials for a mobile you plan on using for a base.
Make sure the connectors on the coax are all on right, this causes problems a lot of the time. sometimes even brand new coax have bad connectors installed.
There are a few common reasons the fuse keeps blowing:
1. The transmitter final transistor is bad, it usually is directly connected to the 12v source and not switched by the power switch. 2. The power wires were accidentally reversed I.E. positive to ground, neg to 12v. There is a protection diode on the circuit board that did its job and is now shorted. it will keep blowing fuses until its replaced.
The wires should just attach to the red and black terminals on the radio, strip some wire unscrew the terminals a little wrap behind, and tighten again. Good luck! Or buy some banana plugs and they will plug right in the front
You have some form of short circuit in your CB, most likley I would suspect the Power supply or the RF Power Output Amplifier. Here are some basic instruction on how to tell wher the smoke is coming from.
1) disconnect and remove your CB from your vehicle and put it on a workbench 2) remove the cover from your CB and expose the circuit board to view 3) connect your CB to an external 12 volt power source and antenna or a dummy load 4) power up the CB and determine where the smoke is coming from then turn off the power supply to the CB 5) At this point you will need a schematic of your CB (get one from www.servicemanuals.com) 6) find the point on the schematic that relates to the point where the smoke is coming from 7) using a ohmmeter determine which component and or components are shorted 8) replace the shorted and or malfunctioning components. 9) test the system (power on, transmit and receive) 10) close the unit back up 11) reinstall into vehicle 12) run tests again.