Question about Televison & Video

1 Answer

Re: Thanks so much!!

You have recommended repairing the convergence IC's and/or resistor.  I am know TV tech so I think I will have to get someone to fix it for me, unless you know of a good DIY. 
If not, do you know what I'm lookin at in terms of repair costs? Any good tech's you can recommend in Richmond, VA?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 8,617 Answers

If you can solder this is a repair you can do yourself for under 30 dollars. I can send instructions . Or if you'd like i can locate you someone in the richmond area if you post your zipcode. However a repair shop will probaly get 200- 300 for a convergence repair.

Posted on Mar 01, 2008

  • Sonny Berry
    Sonny Berry Mar 01, 2008

    Looking in the back of your set the board on the left side will have a large aluminum heatsink with 2 large black ICs with STK392-110 stamped on them. Those are the ICs you have to change. Go to radio shack and buy their "desoldering Iron" it has a rubber bulb on it to suck up the solder. Also buy a small tube of HEAT SINK compound . Also a 30 watt pencil soldering iron if you don't have one. Mark the wires that you remove so you know where they plug back in and remove the left board. Un solder the 2 ICs and solder in the new ones. Change both of them. Put heat sink compound liberally on the back of the ICs before you solder them. Check the pins to make sure the solder isn't bridging any of the pins, Use a magnifying glass to be sure. Reconnect the wires and you should only have to do a convergence adjustment VIa of the remote.If you need any further info please let me know.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I am not sure what it is called but in the middle of the screen the picture is great but the further you go left or right the colors are not alligned they start off by only alittle bit but get...

You are suffering from a convergence problem. In this case I recommend you see a TV tech. To pull the convergence board is a real chore. Your convergence board will have too many bad grounds to even begin to count. You may not have to replace the convergence IC. The IC will be of a STK-393-110. In many cases this IC will be replaced by an after market part. You will have to check and replace resistors of a 2 watt value of about 3.9 ohms. In good faith, the TV man will replace this convergence IC ,as to try to correct the problem the first time. Good advice for the ,do it your selfer. Take this note to a TV tech. Some knowledge could save you a few bucks. Thanks for asking and show all hands of support!

May 04, 2011 | Mitsubishi WS-55819 55" Rear Projection...

1 Answer

My samsung rear projection tv has a problem with its convergence ic. i think theres two ics , but how do i tell which ic need replacing??

Always replace both once your going to the trouble each IC is usually less than $30.
This link will help show you what's involved.
convergence output IC problem. convergence board would have to be removed - remove and replace 2 STK IC's and check the surrounding resistors. Shops usually $200-$400 Be sure to vote/rate me if this helped Thanks!
See link for more detail

Nov 13, 2009 | Samsung HLR5067WX 50" Rear Projection HDTV

2 Answers

My sony tv model # KP-46WT510 is showing a three D Picture with a red outline

This sounds like convergence output IC problem. convergence board would have to be removed - remove and replace 2 STK IC's and check the surrounding resistors. Shops usually charge between $200-$400 Be sure to vote/rate me if this helped Thanks!
See link for more detail

Oct 17, 2009 | Sony Televison & Video

3 Answers

The TV is blurry with Red and green lines showing

Your symptoms sounds like a damaged convergence IC.

There are two and large IC’s that control the convergence in a big screen set. They are secured to a very large aluminum heat sink2.gif. They will have a part number stamped on them that will start with an STKXXX-XXX, like STK392-110, and they are located on the signal board (on the left as you look into the back of the set).

Along with the convergence IC’s there will also be some associated components that will need to be replaced as well. There are some resistors that are part of the convergence circuit that will be open and need to be replaced. Most likely these will appear charred in the center. If you have an Ohm Meter or a DVM, check all the resistors that are close to the IC’s and you should be looking for either ones that have opened or have changed values.
There are also two resistors on the front of the board located in the middle that are fusible link resistors, these should be checked for opens and replaced if they are found so.

I would suggest that you contact a service center in your area for a complete diagnosis and repair, as this type of repair can get a little tricky. But if you want to repair the set yourself, just remember to be careful. The capacitors and CRT’s can hold a charge and may shock you.

If one of the convergence IC’s are found to be bad, I would replace them both, if one has gone bad the other may go soon. I usually order my parts from Andrews Electronics in California, they will have the OEM components that you will need.
Their site is
And their phone number is a 24-Hour Order Desk: (800) 274-4666
I recommend the phone order so you can talk to the person about the different types of IC’s that are available.

I would also advise that the convergence IC’s be OEM or better, just because they are cheap does not mean that they are a good deal. I have seen the cheap IC’s fail after a short time, even though they look exactly like the OEM IC’s. I think that the bottom line is that you will get what you pay for when it comes to the parts.

You can also try , I have not tried them yet, but they do carry OEM or better parts.

I hope this information allows you to resolve this issue.

Sep 20, 2009 | Mitsubishi WS-65711 65" Rear Projection...

4 Answers

AV-48WP30 - Is this a convergence board issue?

yes u r right that is the problem of convergence in your televisions.and it needs to be replaced to make it proper.

Oct 29, 2008 | JVC AV-48WP30 48" Rear Projection...

1 Answer

Philips convergence

They could be wirewound resistors or perhaps thermistors or thermal fuses or even special components.

You really need to refer to a service sheet or repair manual.

Nov 07, 2017 | Televison & Video

1 Answer

2.2 ohm resistor blowing after convergence repair

It might be the issue on the board. I would recommend you to show it to a repairman

Sep 07, 2008 | Panasonic PT-47WX49 47" Rear Projection...

1 Answer

Hutachi 43inch rear projection 5 yrs old


Hitachi Convergence

Check out the Convergence Gallery. If you see the colored outlines or color shading as in the Gallery, you have a convergence problem.

The repair for a Hitachi requires the replacement of the defective IC or ICs and any damaged or smoked resistors. Some models don't have a separate convergence board and the board is not usually available for the ones that do have a separate convergence board. Usually there is little alignment required after the repair. If you play with all the adjustments before the fix, hours may be spent re-aligning.

If you change the original ICs with substitute "new and improved" parts that are talked about in the blogs, you will probably create problems. Use the original ICs and resistors.

Don't monkey with it.

This is a delicate and difficult repair. If not done by someone with some electronic repair experience, the TV will likely end up as junk or cost considerably more for a tech to fix the damage done.

If you live in Calgary, call me. If elsewhere, find a competent tech.


Jul 30, 2008 | Samsung HCN4226W 42" Rear Projection...

1 Answer

Sony 46WT500 Arched Red Lines appearing. The tv is about 4 years old. I have read on this web site that it is easy to fix, and I am willing to try it, but I do not know how to get the front cover off. Can...

NYGirl, the convergence circuit is failing, The IC`s will have to be replaced and all precision resistors will have to be checked, I don`t know who told you this was easy to do but I can assure you it is NOT an easy fix, If you have the service manual, access to a supply house that sells good quality IC`s ( I can give you that number if you think you can do this) a working knowledge of soldering and un-soldering and a good quality voltmeter you can remove the board and do this job, approximate repair time by a qualified tv tech is 2 hours, if not I strongly suggest you call a tv tech, questions? e-mail me back, BMW Rider

Jan 01, 2008 | Hitachi 50UX57B 50" Rear Projection...

1 Answer


you have a bad convergence IC and probably one or two precision resistors next to the IC`s that have to be un-soldered and replaced, if your very proficient with electronics you can do the repair if not call a tech. If you decide to do the repair yourself
you`ll need a volt/Ohm meter (to find the bad resistor(s) and soldering equipment to remove the parts and re-install new parts, let me know and I`ll get you part numbers for IC`s, you will have to check resistors and tell me which ones are bad for their respective part numbers.

Nov 30, 2007 | Hitachi 43FDX01B TV

Not finding what you are looking for?
Televison & Video Logo

Related Topics:

237 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Televison & Video Experts

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

75767 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers


Level 3 Expert

81400 Answers

Are you a Televison and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides