Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

3 Answers

GE microwave why would the bottom of the microwave paint be coming off. The metal is now showing is theunsafe to use?

Posted by on

  • Anonymous Apr 30, 2008

    have a ge microwave that has terrible rust on the inside is this a recall ??

  • ManiaMissiri Jan 03, 2009

    Paint chipping off as well on the door - should I replace?

×

3 Answers

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Governor:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.

    Scholar:

    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

  • Expert
  • 135 Answers

Hi there!

Paint comes off when too much moisture is present in the cavity. It should always be dried after cooking. Most microwaves were built with galvanised iron and then sprayed with special paint. You can try and sand it down. Make sure the surface is clean and smooth before spraying. First prime and then spray. Be sure it is paint for microwaves.Paint may be harmful so wear a spray mask in a well ventilated area. Some manufacturers use a chemical in the spray called "Methel Ethel Ketone" which kills brain cells. Unplug from Mains before working on it. If the cavity looks to bad rather replace the unit. Good Luck, JUS004.

Posted on Feb 29, 2008

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 4,102 Answers

Hi yes this is extremely unsfae to use as the microwaves that cook the food would now be leaving the microwave and can cause serious harm if you was stood next to it it would in theory start cooking you from inside out.
PLEASE STOP USING IT ITS UNSAFE
I cant tell you enough dont use it get rid of it it is no good now and wouldnt cook the food properly but this microwave is now dangerous please please dont use it
The paint has come away due to either been damp after cooking food and not being cleaned regular what happens is when the plate is spinning on the runners this wears away the protective covering on the paint as this has wore away it will start to rust and form holes this is when you will cause damage to yourself and anybody else who is near the microwave whilst it is being used.
If you kept using it and please dont as the paint where's away the microwave will short out and you will see sparks inside the microwave and potentially could cause serious fire so please unplug it throw it out side and get repalcement.
Just remember if you wipe the microwave after each use and this will prolong the life.
Please dont use it you could do serious harm trust me i know

Posted on Feb 29, 2008

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 2,267 Answers

If the mocrowave still working, I wouldn't worry about operating it. If you want to have some peace of mind you can buy the paint and do it yourself. Go HERE to get the paint that is specially for microwaves use.

Posted on Feb 29, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

GE Microwave oven is making popping sounds.


This is because the coating inside the oven or the wave guide has been damaged and microwaves are hitting bare metal and causing sparks. Take the light bulb out of it and when it is dark, put a glass of water in it and turn it on. If you can see the sparks then you know what needs to be repaired. You can buy microwave oven paint. It is special paint though, you cannot just use any paint. If you cannot see sparks then the area that is damaged is inside the unit and it should be taken in for repairs. If you don't fix it, it will blow out the magnetron and you will be looking at a new oven.

May 24, 2015 | GE Microwave Ovens

3 Answers

Microwave arcing, smoklng, buzzing


Smokeing microwave.. Take it a to a repairman or buy a new one.

Something is wrong, I would recommend agains useing it. Not sure where the smoke is coming from.. something burning..?

May 27, 2008 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Paint inside microwave is chipped and blistered. How do you fix it?


HI,
If you are able to spent money for a new Microwave then go for a new one.
If you are interested to repair and reuse the existing Microwave then keep on thing in mind, if you paint it then also it will not lasts for a long time as the metal underneath is rusted.
Ajin

Jul 14, 2012 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My oven sparks from the metal plate on the side.


Check to see if there is any rust or cracks in the coating that came from the factory. Some microwaves use metal underneath an epoxy type coating and if it is exposed, it can cause an arc from the microwave generator. If there are any defects in the surface, it can be sanded down and you can purchase a can of interior microwave paint and put a coat of paint over the defective area. Also look for any exposed metal in the area of the sparks, there should no metal exsposed anywhere, if it is, cover it with the paint. hope this helps.

Feb 13, 2011 | GE Profile Spacemaker Over-the-Range...

1 Answer

The paint is coming off the inside of my ge microwave. is it safe to use?


No it is not safe! the white paint is a special type designed for microwave ovens that prevents arcing from the magnetron, because when you get down to bare metal it will cause problems. I would try and contact the GE manufacture or appliance repairman to see if he has the paint available for this kind of work.

Jan 19, 2011 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Sparks from GE Microwave - HVM1540SN2SS


THERE SHOULD NOT BE ANY METALS IN A MICROWAVE WHEN THE UNIT IS RUNNING
If the unit paint is flaking and behind that flake is metal.. You need to throw it away or talk to your appliance guy and see if there is a speacial paint to coat the metal so you can use your MW

Jul 25, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Paint in the GE micro oven is flaking off.


no problems,,, just paint it,, so long as you use normal paints without any metal in them any enamel paint will do,, but it will work fine as it is,, it realy dont need any paint on it,, its only there to make it look nice,,however if you do paint it you must let it dry out fully before you use it again or you may find it go's with a big "bang!" when the paint catches fire!!!!!!!!!

Mar 05, 2010 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

White bottom panel inside the microwave is peeling in two spots. What can be done if anything?


affected area would need to be sanded and re-painted with microwave paint. repairclinic.com sells the paint

Feb 04, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Bottom of door inside badly rusted - oven works fine


Yes you can paint it.. Begin by removing the rust with either a wire brush or a thick paste product called naval jelly. Then prime the area and finally paint it with appliance paint, abailable in a spray can at most hardware stores in the color of your appliance.

May 26, 2009 | General Electric Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

236 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1059 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...