I recently got a new (in packaging even) but ancient 1985 GE JKP77G*02 microwave/oven combo for almost nothing.
Hooked power to test before installing, it came on, then a loud pop, spark, smoke.
I am no tech but looked and determined the varistor board ge (discontinued) part number wb27x5293 is fried
AND that this probably happened because my white and or neutral power connections came loose- so it may not be the ancient oven's fault
questions: any idea where to find this part and if I find it/ replace, what is the chance no other damage was done? I have very little invested so far but don't plan on putting much money into an oven this old, a little time/effort no problem
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Is it the oven or the microwave that is not heating? If it is the oven it is a very good possibility that the common relay on the control board has gone out. I have seen this several times on GEs. Unfortunately the control board will need to be replaced or repaired. Corecentricsolutions.com is very good about repairing control boards. the bad thing is you have to send them the board. Mark all connections before removing the board. (power off of course)
I, too, have the GE -JKP86. Microwave over oven. My oven would not heat up on bake or broil. Elements checked good, no fault codes. This is how I fixed mine: Shut off power at the box. Remove unit from cabinet. I placed mine on a chair. Remove cover(s) until you expose the circuit boards behind the control consol . The top board is behind the microwave controls, the bottom is behind the oven controls. Remove the bottom board by removing 4 screws. I take pictures with my smart phone, even some video. Helps me remember how everything goes back together. BE SURE THE POWER IS OFF, HIGH VOLTAGE IN HERE! One of the screws is hard to see. It is behind the ribbon connector. Unplug everything carefully. You will see a red and an orange wire north and south of a small relay. You must unclip the circuit boards from each other. Look for a missing drop of solder on the back side of the board with the relay. You will find it underneath where the red wire connects. Mine ( looking through a magnifying glass) looked like a crater with a wire sticking up out of it. It had overheated and the solder dripped out. The joint is inadequate. I cleaned and resoldered it with a nice blob. Reassemble and check. I just left mine on the chair. Power on. Select bake, 300, start. You should here the relays click and after about 45 seconds you'll see the bottom element glow. After one minute the relay clicks again ant you'll see the top element glow. They alternate during the preheat cycle. Put it all back together and shove it all back in the hole. Hope this helped!
Member Discussion on Whirlpool GMC305PRS01 Microwave Oven
Whirlpool Wall oven/microwave combo unit Door message Does anyone know where the 15 amp fuse is? I replaced the 20amp fuse and it worked for a minute or two and then I opened the door and I blew my circuit breaker. I reset my circuit breaker, replaced the 20 amp fuse and now all I get is the Door message. I also noticed that it fused the outside switch on the right side of the door so I had to open the switch up and un-fuse it. This is for a whirlpool GMC305PRS01 Wall Oven/microwave combo unit.
Also if anyone could tell me the correct position the wire is supposed to be hooked up on the switches? I had someone help me take the switch out and they unhooked the wires and now we aren't sure how they are supposed to be hooked up. My light on the microwave doesn't work either. Is it possible the bulb blew when the fuse blew?
CKD WIRING FROM PANEL OK
CKD TERMINALS AT ELEMENT HAVE 120V ON EACH ELMT
FAN COMES ON
THE ON INDICATOR SHOWS WHEN TMP &START PUSHED
MICROWAVE WORKS FINE
I ORDERED A NEW BAKE ELEMENT TO TRY-NOT HERE YET