We live on a boat in France. Last year while plugged in to shore power, there was an electrical surge which tripped our on-board main fuse switch and everythig seemed to be fine after re-setting including our fridge with the green light showing power on. The next day, however, we found that the fridge was no longer cooling. We switched to gas and it started working again.
Which parts are likely to be the problem and how can they be fixed?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Fridge not working on 12V or 220V
Hi simon, i would say your ac heater is gone bad. it could have open up and no longer heating when you have a power surge . these heating elemenent are also located in the gas generator. you have to replace this heating element.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Ez test to determine if stator wiring is ok. This test works on generators that have two sets of 115v plugs and 220v plug. Use a 12v, 1amp ac power supply ( smaller ac power supply should work ok ). With generator not running, apply 12v to one of the 115v outlet plugs. Now verify 12v output voltage with meter at another 115v outlet on generator. Also verify that there is about twice the voltage at the 220 v outlet plug (should be about 20v - 24v) . If the adjoining 115 v outlet plug has no output or very little voltage or if the 220 volt plug has no output, most likely stator is damaged or breaker is off. If the stator is shorted voltage reading will be very low and power supply will heat up. If stator is open, there will be no voltage at second 115v plug or 220 v plug. If voltage is ok at the other outlet plugs as per test above then most likely problem is with voltage regulator, or brushes not making contact or armature winding open or just needs to be energized. Unplug the 12v power supply after test to prevent it from overheating. Most generators have two 115v windings that together power the 220v plug. When you energize one of the windings with the 12v power supply, the second 115v winding will be energized also and give you a voltage reading about equal to 12v. You will not damage the generator with this small voltage being input thru the plug. Good luck
You might unhook the battery and with the camper plugged in to shore power the 12v lights should work. If not check the breaker that goes to the inverter. If that is not tripped then check the power output at the converter. I would expect the inverter is shot. I replaced the one on my Jaco two years ago with (Progressive Dynamics 60 Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard and the remote pendant)
hell no thats a fire hazard.. I am thinking that the surge is more that that unit can handle..surge is the extra power needed to start up an electrical piece of equipment..surge can easily double the amount of power required for startup..may need a new powerstrip with a much heavier rating..
Not by plugging it in direct!
You will need a transformer, or a more modern equivalent 'box' which will take the 220v supply you
have now and drop it down to 110V.
Try your local hardware or electrical store or look in your telephone directory under 'electrics'- hopefully you should find one from one of them ;-0)
1) Try with a different surge protector. The oine you're using could have a short-circuit
2) Try without a surge suppressor, at least for a day
3) Does the circuit breaker trip when something else starts running? Your microwave, fridge, dishwasher, etc.?
4) Check the user's manual of your TV, under SPECIFICATIONS. Check for "POWER REQUIREMENTS". If the power requirements listed is greater than 15 Amps or 1,700 Watts (assuming you live in the USA and your household is 110-120V), then the circuit breaker will almost always be triggered by the TV. Most circuit breakers inside a house are 15 Amps.
The only option you have is to replace the circuit breaker for one that has more Amps, but doing so on your own without having and electrican check if the wiring will hold the extra load is extremely unadvaisable. You may end up with an electric fire in your hands.
Paul; Are you tripping the shore power pedestal? If so did you unplug the fridge and try it. The park pedestal breaker should be at least 30 amp and I can not believe the fridge would trip the site breaker before it tripped the breaker in your caravan. Are you sure it is the fridge? Your fridge is an old eletrolux dometic and I can not find the manual in my files. You may call Dometic and get a manual but That will not help you much. I will be more than glad to resolve your problem but I need more info. The Dometic# is 800 366 3842. Prompt to tech dept. Repost to us Thank You for using Fixya Jerry
On the old F n P fridges they use to use a 12v motor that was open shaft, there fore it wouldnt have a earth on it. Althou it can still over current. In lame mans turns I would say that it would be the compressor.
In terms of replacement, a new compressor in generally a third of what a new fridge cost. It would be a good idea if you didnt have the money for a new fridge but on that you dont get a warrenty. If you could get a domestic refrig tech out he would be able to quote on repairs.
if this is a new problem that suddenly occurred, then trust the fuse box...the frig has a problem. Most likely a compressor motor that has been electrically damaged...could have been power surges from utility or lightening or unknown. It also could be a wiring problem in the house...mice have been known to chew through wire insulation...they feel the warm wires and are fooled into believing the wire is a live food source and start chewing. A test of this wire problem is to remove the frig and plug in something that will demand close to the same current...(should also contain a motor)...read the frig's label on back of unit.