Hoping I recall all the steps (worked for Pfaff for 10 years doing just this type of thing but found there were a lot of variables and was never able to write them all down in one place!)
If the following doesn't work, send me your phone number and I'll be happy to call and try to walk you through getting it re-installed (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Uninstall your Pfaff software program (either through Windows Add/Remove Programs or with the Pfaff Uninstall feature)
- With the dongle still connected, right click on My Computer, selectProperties, select Hardware tab, select Device Manager (assumingWindows XP if earlier version you won't see Hardware Tab - just selectDevice Manager).
- Locate the dongle under Universal Serial Bus Controllers (will be listed as Rainbow, Sentinal or Aladdin depending on version of dongle)
- Double-click the listing for your dongle, click the Driver Tab, select Uninstall. This should remove all traces of the dongle software that was previously installed.
- Remove dongle and re-insert in USB port. This should automatically trigger the dongle install.
- After dongle re-installs, right click on My Computer, select Properties, select Hardware tab, select Device Manager (assuming Windows XP if earlier version you won't see Hardware Tab - just select Device Manager).
- Locate the dongle under Universal Serial Bus Controllers (will be listed as Rainbow, Sentinal or Aladdin depending on version of dongle).
- Double-click the listing for your dongle, click the Driver Tab, select Update Driver.
- Make sure you're connected to the internet. A window will open - select Yes, This Time Only & follow prompts to attempt to locate newer driver. This will attempt to find the most current driver for the dongle. Depending on the version of the dongle software on your computer, it will either find a new version or tell you there is no newer one. If a newer driver available, allow it to install.
- Once you've finished the above to update dongle driver, close all the open windows.
- FINALLY, you should be able to install your Pfaff program...with no problems. LEAVE THE DONGLE INSERTED when you reinstall your customizing - even though the program tells you not to.
Rather tedious but it is necessary to remove as many traces of the previous install as possible (program and dongle drivers) before reinstalling. The key seemed to be installing the dongle BEFORE the Pfaff program, updating it and making sure it worked before trying to install Customizing.
As I indicated before, if this doesn't work, I'd be more than happy to try to walk you through - just send me a phone number and a time that would be convenient.
Crossing my fingers,