The error message "A communication error has occurred during the fax transmission
" normally indicates that for some reason the fax call was interrupted or there was some interference on the telephone line during the fax transmission. Some possible interruption/interference on transmission(s) are:
1. the telephone line is not a dedicated fax line - there could be an extension which was inadvertently lifted/used during a fax call;
2. noisy/dirty telephone/fax line - corrosion on the terminal, joints, connectors, pins, plugs, jacks, telephone outlet or even on the provider's system. This could be determined by using the handset of the fax machine, dialing a single digit (to make the dialtone disappear) and listening to the phone's earpiece. There should be no crackling sound or static but a clean/dead air. In some cases where the telephone/fax line is shared with the DSL, then it could be the filter/splitter used;
3. some phone lines can still accept an incoming even though in use (call waiting) - the ringing of the 2nd call is more than enough interruption/interference;
4. RFI (radio frequency interference) - an electronic device that transmits a radio signal such as a two way radio, a WiFi router or mobile phone
5. noisy/dirty power AC mains -the outlet/AC power line where the fax device is plugged in has some other appliances/devices that draws power from it that can cause static/transients/spikes along the power line. Examples are water dispensers with built-in cooler/heater, dehumidifier, aircons, refrigerators and any other that switches itself on/off. A simple solution would be to use a different outlet and/or use a surge suppressor.
As to the "error code number 321*
", pls post back the make and model of your fax device. Alternately, you can reference this site
. If your fax machine/device is an HP brand (and/or the receiving end's fax machine is), pls check this link
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards.
Thank you for using FixYa.