Question about Maytag Appliances Over-the-Range Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Maytag micro shot smoke. Left burnt smell

Unit shot smoke during operation. left burn smell. need to replace something. what? magnetron?

Posted by on

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 534 Answers

That would be my guess t possibly has shorted out.

Dave

Posted on Feb 05, 2010

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Smoke and burning plastic smell in microwave oven


Burning plastic, not food? A component has overheated badly then, with a plastic case. The main suspect would be the high voltage capacitor in the magnetron supply. This is cheap and easily replaced ONLY IF you know what you are doing and can diagnose the fault. If you don't then DO NOT take the case off the unit as fatal voltages can be present inside even if the unit is unplugged.

I'd just buy another, as they are generally uneconomical to have repaired by a service tech.

Dec 31, 2013 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I put a mug of water in the microwave, left the room. Came back, and the room was filled with a burning electrical/plastic smell, no visible smoke. Now, the microwave completely powers off after 1 second...


Since there was no smoke, it's not a transformer. It's most likely a high voltage diode or magnetron. The magnetron would be over heating and opening a thermal cut out mounted to or near it.

Oct 19, 2013 | Samsung SMH9187ST Microwave Oven

1 Answer

MMV5100AAW Microwave hums and smells burnt , will not heat food , everything else works fine


If you have that funny burning smell in the microwave oven This is sure sign the magnetron has failed, and must be replaced.

Mar 21, 2012 | Maytag MMV5165 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My Amana Radarange over the stove microwave started to omit a "burnt rubber" smell and stopped defrosting or heating anything all of a sudden. Model #MVH15W. Still works otherwise, lights on...


You're describing a common smell that goes along with a magnetron tube that has failed. The magnetron tube makes the microwaves, and will eventually fail if you keep a microwave long enough. They can fail in a couple of different ways, and one is to short out accompanied by that burning smell. It's probably not worth trying to repair your oven because of its age. I don't believe the magnetron is available any longer. If it is, it will be costly, and replacing the tube is best left to a professional because of safety concerns. Your most economical choice would be to replace the oven.

Feb 28, 2011 | Amana Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Panasonic NN-CT776SBPQ, just 2 y old, burning smell advise what could be the problem and how much it cost\r\n


check if the smell is coming from within the cabin. If so due to non usage of food covers some food particles ccould have got stuck while on heat to the sides of the cavity and results in heating and smoking. If so clean well with a dry clot and wipe out any moisture on the magnetron fitting slot.
However if the smell continues, check the capacitor to the magnetron or the magnetron or the main transformer itself.
You must open the cover and check for the origin of the smell.
estimate cost and decide.
Creddit if the advice helps.

Aug 25, 2010 | Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Maytag oven made a buzzing noise, then turned off and there was smoke and a strange smell


Chances are you have a shorted high voltage rectifier diode or high voltage transformer, but it may be the magnetron.

Here are some links you or someone you know can use for test help, but read their safety warnings first:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
(if it's not shorted or burned, it's probably okay)


http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/xformer.html
(if it's not shorted or burned, it's probably okay)

There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.

d:%5cele%5crepair%5cmicrowave%5cge_hotpoint%5cmini_manual_behind_grille_small.jpgAt our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.

You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number from the tag on the oven here.

There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.

If necessary, you can unplug the oven, temporarily disconnect the cooling fan near the microwave, and run it to see where the smoke may be coming from. Don't forget to reconnect the fan.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jun 25, 2009 | Maytag Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Need to clean air filter of burned popcorn smell


You would be better off to replace the filter. Purchase two and use the first one to capture the remaining smoke residue. Then install the other clean one to keep microwave free of smell. Check the web site www.partselect.com for the replacement filter. If you found any of these suggestions helpful, please rate my solution. D. Lange

Apr 25, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Seems like Power supply burned up


If the high voltage transformer is fried, the high voltage capacitor or clamp diode may be at least partially shorted (causes transformer overload). Usually this blows a fuse immediately to prevent a transformer burnout. Arcing in the oven waveguide or cavity, or a magnetron fault could also have been the cause. It would probably be a good idea to replace the magnetron controller relay also; it probably was overloaded.

Given the price of the replacement parts, your best bet would be to find a similar unit at an electronics recycling place and combine good parts to get a working oven. The keypad on your oven is worth something since keypad failure is common in that particular line.

Jul 03, 2017 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE JVM1870SK03 won't heat food, hums and puts out a burning smell


With the symptoms you have, I would most strongly suspect a shorted high voltage rectifier diode or a bad magnetron.

The diode is a fairly cheap fix, and the mag will cost more and is more complicated to replace.

Here are some links you or someone you know can use (in order given) for test help, but read the safety warnings first:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html (if it is NOT shorted, it's probably fine)

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html (continuity can be good even though it is bad!)

There should also be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.

If it needs a new magnetron, you'll have to remove it from the wall, then remove the outer cover. If so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.

You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.

If you want to contact GE about having an authorized servicer look at it, or have them send you a magnetron, GE Customer Service is here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 05, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Maytag microwave mmv1153aaw


my guess would be the wave cover. sometimes they smoke and makes sparking sounds. does it still heat food?...if it does, then its not the magnetron.

Feb 18, 2008 | Maytag MMV4205 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Maytag Appliances Over-the-Range Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

150 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Maytag Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9047 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

225 Answers

SHARCNET-USA
SHARCNET-USA

Level 3 Expert

2130 Answers

Are you a Maytag Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...