Louder than normal noise when using and bad 'burning' smell
When i start my microwave oven for a second it sounds normal but immediately (1 second) after starting, it makes louder than normal noise and appears to be functioning when then a terrible burning smell appears; it is working fine otherwise (control panel, light, etc.)
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: louder than normal noise when using and bad 'burning'...
You need to stop using your microwave if it's burning. This is a common symptom of a blown magnetron. Using it in it's current condition is not only dangerous, but it will further damage other components in the high voltage circuit and/or waveguide. In many circumstances, damaging the waveguide renders a microwave non-repairable. A new magnetron will cost you around $100 if you wish to repair this yourself. NOTE: I would not recommend working in or around the high voltage circuitry unless you absolutely know what you are doing. Do not attempt to take any live voltage measurements or operate the oven with any of the protective covers removed or interlocks defeated. Voltage potentials of over 13,000 volts exist and are potentially dangerous. I hope this helps you.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I understand that you are receiving a burning rubber smell from your Frigidaire microwave. I also see that your appliance will run for a couple of seconds, and then you hear a weird noise, followed by a burning rubber smell. I suggest contacting your local authorized technician, especially when dealing with your microwave. They will be able to diagnose your appliance and determine what is causing that sound as well as the burning rubber smell. Hope this is helpful.
Is there any holes burnt into the liner inside the micro wave.? Or burn spots showing.? If there is thow it out. It is not safe to be useing it.It could start on fire. That problem is from when they are not clean out once in a while. End food is burn,t onto the interior liner end grease end oil,
Sounds like you have a bad magnetron. Not much worth replacing in these over-the-range microwaves except the fuse. Repair will cost as much as a new one and the high voltage circuit of a m/w is not somewhere I would recommend a DIYer to mess around in.
there is a component called a spatter gard inside the oven at the point where the microwaves enter......if food or other foreign substance gets stuck there, then it will start to burn ...the smell and popping noise is coming from the spatter gard.....to fix it you must remove the spatter gard..replace it if it's burnt and /or sand paper the spot clean and then paint the area with a high temperature paint called mr. touch up......to protect the bare metal from the microwaves.....hope that helps
It is very possible it may have burnt wire or burnt capacitor. Remove unit, remove top cover and look inside to see if you see any burn marks or burnt wires. Also check fuse to see if it is good or not.
Sounds like a bad magnetron.
One test is to set it to run for 30 seconds on the lowest power level.
As the microwave power turns off and on, the growling should cycle too.
If you or a friend decide to work on it, we have *critical* safety *& disassembly info at our site, which is linked at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
Otherwise, you can contact GE Customer Relations at 1-800-386-1215 and tell them your problem and they will put you in touch with a local authorized servicer.