Question about Kenmore Dryers
Pilot lights were last used in the 1970's. The gas valve is fired off by a silicone carbide igniter. There are many reasons for no heat.
Here is a list. You need an ohm meter to perform some of these tests.
1. Make sure the gas is turned on to the appliance.
2. Remove the back cover of the dryer. In the center bottom is a small skinny white ceramic device, held on with one screw.
Remove one of the wires, and check it with an ohm meter. It should show zero ohms of resistance. If not, it is defective, and needs replaced. This device on your brand causes 80 to 90% of all no heat problems.
3. As well, there are 3 or 4 other thermostats in the area, either round or rectangular, with 2 wires going to them. Check all of them if needed. They should all check zero ohms.
4. To check the igniter, you will have to remove the front panel. A tutorial follows, on how to do that.
Locate the gas valve, on the left side. Follow it forward, you will see the 2 wires on a plug, and at the tip of the burner tube, the igniter itself. Unplug, and check the igniter leads. It should read about 20 to 30 ohms. if not, it has burned out and needs replaced.
5. On the gas valve itself, are 2 black coils, held on with a 2 screw bracket. They can fail, but cannot be tested with a meter. If they are bad, the heating system will light the igniter, and shut down without firing the gas. All components must be in place to perform this test.
That covers 99.5% of all issues. There are others, such as the timer, heat selector switch, centrifugal switch in the main motor, but are extremely rare.
The tutorial is not about heat trouble shooting, but is supplied to show how to gain access to the front of the machine. Kenmore is made by Whirlpool.
Posted on Feb 03, 2010
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 12, 2013 | Dryers
If you are having problems with your
gas dryer not heating the most common problem is that the ignitor
goes bad. Even though it glows sometimes it is still not working
you dryer is gas check out this gas
If you have an electric dryer, you can
have many different things that can go wrong causing the dryer not to
out this electric
Dec 24, 2010 | Maytag Atlantis MDG7400AW Gas Dryer
Apr 04, 2010 | Maytag Dryers
Apr 01, 2010 | Kenmore 72802 Gas Dryer
Jul 13, 2009 | Dryers
Jan 03, 2009 | Kenmore 73952 Gas Dryer
Jan 03, 2009 | Kenmore 63942 Dryer
Jun 05, 2007 | Kenmore 72802 Gas Dryer
160 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: