Question about Whirlpool MH1160XSS Stainless Steel 950 Watts Microwave Oven
We have a MH1160XSS1 Whirlpool microwave. A few months ago it stopped heating food and everything else seemed to work just fine. I took it down and removed the case. I tested the magnetron and it said it was good. I put the wires back on and it worked again until last weekend. Same problem, all of the sudden it just stopped heating. I took it all apart and put in a new magnetron. That didn't solve the problem. So I basically took apart the entire high voltage parts, checked them, and reassembled them. It worked again until this evening. I have no idea what to do or change as all of the checks tell me everything is fine.
Should I punt and just go get a new microwave or should I continue to buy replacement parts which seem to be fine???
Are you getting 110VAC on the primary leads of the high voltage transformer when you press "Start" to begin cooking?
If not, yhen it may simply be a bad cook relay (I do board repair) or a bad bottom or inside top door switch. See http://www.microwavecontrol.com/doorsw.htm
E-mail me via my site for more free help.
William E. Miller, AS-EET
Microwave Oven Control Panel Repair Nationwide
"Recycling by repairing since 1982"
Posted on Mar 21, 2017
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
you may have gotten a power surge and that can cause some funny things to happen, 1st is there power to the oven, 2nd if so there may be an internal fuse protector built in to the oven, check with the manual for anything of that sort listed. if not you may have to take it in and have it repaired by a pro. there is a lot of voltage in these ovens and unless you know what you are doing a person could get hurt
Posted on Jan 03, 2009
SOURCE: LG Microwave does not heat
I would suspect the magnetron as well. But take that HV Diode somewhere. It's the cheapest part! (A local TV shop may have a low ohm meter to check it out with as well as an appliance shop)Here is what I tell people on replacement. If the cost of the replacement part(s) PLUS labor time costs exceed 50% of the cost of the unit, get a new unit. It holds true with all our "throw away electronics. A shame too. On the question regarding the Ebay purchase, personally, I would never trust a part sold on Ebay as a "New" fresh off the shelf part. They are usually New, stale off the shelf, perhaps dropped a few times, scratch and ding parts. In electronic components, that usually does not phase them. Larger electronic devices like magnatrons, it may. Shop smart. Find appliance part dealers near you first. Once something electronic is sold on Ebay, it's yours, wether it works or not. Especially if it's imported.
Need more help in digging further? Just write back! We are just a mouse click away!
Posted on Mar 12, 2009
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food.
The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven. Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing.
There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly lengthy process however.
Posted on Apr 26, 2009
If everything else works on the microwave, but it simply does not heat, the magnetron is a logical guess. There are also three other components that make up the High Voltage network: HV transformer, HV Capacitor and HV Diode. The magnetron, however usually is the component that fails more commonly. If the model number you have this listed under is correct, you can view all these components at appliancepartspros.com. Just type in your model number and look under the "Cavity" section. The magnetron runs around $86. If you decide to repair this, please let me know. A microwave oven is not an appliance for a DIY beginner to start with. The High Voltage network has potentials of 3000 to 4000 volts and safety is important. If this is not your model number, post back with the correct info. I hope this helps you.
Posted on May 04, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 14, 2011 | Microwave Ovens
Jul 17, 2010 | Amana LD10 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Jun 11, 2010 | Whirlpool MH1150XMQ Microwave Oven
May 24, 2010 | Maytag 2.0 Cu. Ft. Over-the-Range...
Aug 20, 2009 | Whirlpool MH1150XM Convection/Microwave...
Jul 16, 2009 | Whirlpool GH4155XP Microwave Oven
398 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: