Question about Sanyo EM-S5002W Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Oster: Small hole in Mica Shield - Can't find replacement part

I know the mica shield is a waveguide cover and MUST be whole, in one piece, and in place or the oven frys itself.....

I cannot find the replacement part mica shield for: Oster - Sunbeam 1.1 Cu Ft. Stainless Steel Convection Microwave Model #OTM1101VBS

I have totally searched the web, parts stores, Oster, Sunbeam... and found nothing. Suggestions??

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

Dear Sir, Dear Sir, We manufacture and supply transparent mica shields(strips & discs) in all sizes/thickness. Please enlist our name in your vendors list and mail us your regular inquiries with sizes/thickness and quantity required. On receipt, we shall quote our best prices. Thanking you, R. Lall Hindusthan Mica Mart, Main Road, Giridih - 815301, India.

Posted on Jan 24, 2011


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

In manual page EN-8 It says "Do not remove the light brown Mica cover that is attached to the oven cavity to protect the magnetron. What is a magnetron and what mica cover are they talking about

The Magnetron is the high-power device that produces the microwave energy that is directed into the microwave oven cavity by means of a waveguide, which is a metal boxlike duct that transmits the microwave energy from the magnetron to the oven cavity. The Mica cover is a microwave-transparent film that covers the open end of the waveguide where it enters the oven cavity. It is there to prevent dust, dirt, and other things from getting into the waveguide. If that happens, the waveguide can develop electrical arcing, which will destroy it and the magnetron.

Dec 16, 2015 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Replacement cover

That's the waveguide cover, also called a splatter shield or simply mica.
With as little as a brand name, I could have probably given you the supplier.
With a model number, I could have probably given you the part number.
You can find links to helpful exploded view diagrams and part ordering help here.

I recommend that you bookmark that link to your favorites.

May 31, 2013 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

There is a pad on the interior right side that is made out of cardboard type of material. Seems very flimsy. Does this stay in there? What is its purpose?

That piece is called the waveguide cover. In many ovens it's made of plastic. In others, like yours, it's a mica sheet and does seem rather like cardboard, and is brittle. It's there to cover the hole where the microwaves enter the cooking cavity, so no food particles or grease can get in. The oven can work without the cover, but it's potentially unsafe. Arcing and overheating can result, and the magnetron tube (the microwave source) can be damaged, if food buildup occurs in the waveguide.

Replacement waveguide covers are available for many models, and you can get pieces to make your own if you can't find the exact part. Search the Web for "<your make and model here> waveguide cover". Sears parts and Appliance Parts Pros are good places to start looking, and you may be able to find a suitable replacement if you have an appliance parts store in your area.

Sep 10, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

When I turn on the microwave to heat anything, it makes a sizzling, cracking noise, and kinda looks like a fire, on the right hand side, as you are facing the microwave.... There is a screen area with the...

It sounds like what you are talking about is an issue with the waveguide cover. It is usually made of a material called Mica. Its purpose is to cover the aperture through which the microwaves enter the oven cavity from where they are produced by the Magnetron behind the control panel. It stops moisture and food particles getting into the "workings" of the microwave.

if your microwave is working ok and behaving itself then there is nothing to worry about, but there may be one of 3 problems that may arise which should be rectified.

1. Its fallen off.

2. It has a hole in it.

3. It is arcing or sparking during use.

In any eventuality it should be replaced. If it has fallen off or got a hole in it then there is the risk of food or moisture getting into the waveguide which will reduce the efficiency of the oven. If it is arcing or sparking then continued use will damage other components in the microwave including the oven cavity which could be costly to rectify.

If there are any issues with your waveguide cover it should be replaced. When new the mica sheet is rigid and firm. Over a period of time it absorbs moisture and gets food splatters on it. It then becomes soft and flexible. The cover can be replaced either with a suitable replacement made by the manufacturer of the microwave or if the old cover is in good enough shape to be used as a template, blank sheets of mica can be purchased and cut to fit.

Jul 07, 2011 | Dacor DMO24SS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

What is the mica cover?

Hi, a mica cover is inside the oven cavity, usually on the right hand side or in the roof you will usually see a small cover that looks like it is made of cardboard. It is often held in by one or more screws. It is called the waveguide cover. It is usually made of a material called Mica. Its purpose is to cover the aperture through which the microwaves enter the oven cavity from where they are produced by the Magnetron behind the control panel. It stops moisture and food particles getting into the "workings" of the microwave.

Mar 09, 2011 | Cuisinart CMW-100 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The cardboard cover inside the microwave broke, how do I get a replacement. Is it safe to run it without it ?

NO, it's NOT safe to run the microwave without it.
It's not that it's harmful to you--because it's not--but it IS harmful to your microwave. That cardboard cover that you're talking about is called a "mica shield," which, in short, protects your microwave from frying itself.

I'd say talk to Sanyo to see if they can get a replacement for you (which they usually can, or they can at least tell you where to get one). According to their website, , it doesn't look like they have a support phone number, but they have service locators--I'd say if you can give one of the centers a call, and give them you model, they might be able to help you out with getting the mica shield ;)

Good luck! :)

Aug 28, 2009 | Sanyo EM-S5002W Microwave Oven

5 Answers

Metallic-like cardboard insert inside microwave is crumbling???

That piece is called the waveguide cover. Emerson calls it a spatter shield. Behind it is the hole where the microwaves enter the oven. Its job is to prevent food spatters from getting into the microwave source, and it's not a good idea to run the oven without it.

The cover is usually held in place by a plastic rivet that pulls out. I couldn't find the part number for the cover used in your model. But here is a link to a parts place that has several covers available:

If one of the covers shown looks like yours you can order it. Another possibility is to contact Emerson at 800-695-0098. This is the number they give to locate authorized servicers near you, and you might be able to order a replacement cover through them.

Hope this has helped. If so, please take a moment to rate the solution. Thanks for asking here!

Mar 03, 2009 | Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Magnetron tube and mica waveguide cover

Unfortunatey unless the unit is a high end oven by the time you pay for the parts and labor you could probably get a new one. Don't forget if you have to replace these parts already who knows what else is about to happen. I hope this helps you out.

Nov 26, 2008 | Sharp Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Waveguide cover for Kenmore microwave

Try replacing the screws with larger ones. Maybe you ordered the wrong piece, if your microwave comes with a mica cover (A fine, square piece of mica) and you received a plastic one, you will need to get the right piece or adapt the one you received.
You can get the mica cover on any microwave service.

Feb 16, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sanyo EM-S5002W Microwave Oven Logo

675 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sanyo Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9086 Answers

robert landry

Level 2 Expert

96 Answers

Greg Cann
Greg Cann

Level 3 Expert

1114 Answers

Are you a Sanyo Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides