Question about Dishwashers
Our Zanussi DW915 Dishwasher started to have a burning smell around 6 weeks ago which seemed to be coming for the element as the smell was very strong when the door is opened. There also seems to be a lot of heat being generated which you can feel as soon as the door is opened.
The Dishwasher was still finishing its cycle until recently and now what happens is the main eccentric fuse switch is tripping around half way through the wash.
My first thoughts are that there may be an issue with a thermostat because of the heat that is being generated and released when the door is opened. Could this be the issue and if it is then could we also have damaged the element as it has gone a little black around the area where the element enters/exits the inside of the dishwasher.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
SOURCE: Dishwasher Kenmore Ultrawash
One possibility is that the screen/filter to the wash units have become totally clogged. (I had this problem because of some particularly dirty water in the dishwasher.) To access the screen requires taking out the cover at the base of the dishwasher arm assemble which can be done without removing the machine, although you'll need a special screw spline screw driver. Given this the repair takes jsut five or ten minutes. Remove the screen clean it out in the sink and replace.
Posted on Feb 10, 2008
SOURCE: smell of burning
The Element is shorting out, tripping the rcd. replace the element, thermostat,and any cut outs that are in the element cricuit. The element should not be glowing which means the stat is shot and the safety cutout for the element is shot also, while you`re at it check out the circuit board for dry joints, discoloured resisters, bulging capacitors etc.
This is VERY dangerous situation, as the machine has the potential to set your house alight and burn it down!. If you continue to use it in it`s current condition you may well damage other componants - rendering the machine B.E.R - Beyond Economical Repair. I will will advise You to never to leave this machine unattended, do not go out after turning it on and have a nice afternoon in the park etc, you may well come home to a pile of ashes!
Posted on Feb 23, 2008
Has the door got any heavier, as mine started tripping the electrics when a spring broke and short circuited the connections.
f so you will have to get the spring out, from the underneath is best and replace it if you want the door to work correctly again. On mine the second one went a month later.
Posted on Jan 18, 2009
Testimonial: "Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you......forgot the log in details and sorted it in the meantime. Thanks for replying though. :)"
The problem seems to be the loosening of the screws that hold the interior stainless steel skin to the door frame--not the latch.
With the door in the open position you should find a total of twelve screws (5 on each side and 2 on top at each side of the latch). The screws have a particular type of head which may require a trip to the hardware (its a $1,000 dishwasher take the time to get the right screwdriver). They are called TORX screws the size on my dishwasher was a T 15. These type of screw heads were designed to fit automated torque drivers at the factory that set the screws to the proper tension. So some care should be given when you retighten them. Turn until the screw is snug and there no movement of the inner door skin but don't over tighten. Giving it that extra 1/4 turn can be enough to strip the screw out and create a bigger problem.
Yes--you shouldn't have to be doing this to a KitchenAid appliance that cost this much--but I suspect that this will become a feature of periodic maintenance. The heating and cooling generates enough movement that overtime these screws work themselves out. My wife who was the once to make the right diagnosis noticed that the screws at the bottom were almost entirely out.
Posted on May 07, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
May 08, 2015 | Zanussi Dishwashers
Hi friend, thank you for your post!
I understand that your Frigidaire dishwasher is giving off an electric burning smell and you are seeing smoke coming out of the door vent. It could possibly be an issue with your control panel or door vent, both have electrical components inside of them. Since it could be either one of these underlying issues I would recommend having a technician come out to your home and diagnose and repair the dishwasher. Hope this helps. -Matt
Jul 27, 2014 | Frigidaire Dishwashers
Dec 20, 2012 | Hoover HED661280 Dishwasher
Mar 26, 2011 | Frigidaire Professional Series 24 in....
Jun 05, 2010 | Zanussi 23 in. ZDT6252 Built-in Dishwasher
Jan 13, 2010 | Whirlpool GU2400XTP Built-in Dishwasher
Mar 11, 2009 | Whirlpool GU1200XTLS Stainless Steel...
Jan 23, 2009 | Asko 24 in. D3250 Built-in Dishwasher
Mar 13, 2007 | Zanussi 24 in. DE6744 Free-Standing...
Feb 28, 2017 | Dishwashers
93 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!