When the dyer is plugged to the power source, the dryer gets extremely hot. It has even melt the plastics in side the dryer. I took the back off and cleared all lint issues. There was nothing blocked. I did find a thermal component burnted out. Two red wires were hooked up to it. I may replac the part but it really seems like the heater element is running wide open. The component is on the bottom of the heater element. Do you have any suggestions?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
Re: Whirlpool Dryer extremely hot
If your dryer heating element does not cycle, you may have a bad high limit thermostat. The thermostat is used to regulate the internal temperature of the dryer and should cycle the heater on and off. The thermal cut-out is supposed to prevent the dryer from overheating and will blow like a fuse. It is a non-resettable device and must be replaced. It is strongly recommended that you replace both these components at the same time if you have found one of them to be bad. Both of these components will be mounted on the heater box housing. Usually the thermostat is the component closest to the ceramic terminals of the heating element. Most manufacturers sell these two components as a set. The dryer temperature at the exhaust on the back of the dryer should be about 140 degrees. If the temperature is excessive to the point where it is melting things and the cabinet is too hot to touch, make sure the heater is regulating as it should. I would use some extreme caution about using your dryer until you have this problem corrected. I would not use it under any circumstances if you are not going to be home, or if you are going to bed. Dryers are one of the number causes of fires in homes. Good luck to you and let me know if I can help any further.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Sounds like the control panel may be dead. If you cannot get any lights
to come on at all on the front panel, its probably a goner. You can
check the voltage coming out of the control pc board via the schematic
inside the dryer panel. I have this same exact problem. I replaced the
control board 3 times because the panel seems fine if i plug it into an
external power supply but will not work when plugged into my dryer. I
have my jumpered and running off of a circuit breaker. I have checked every part in the entire unit. That was over 2 years ago. I still need to get a control panel and see if it fixes mine but after dropping $130 on the control board, i feel i could buy another dryer with the $200 they want for the control panel. Also this dryer seems to streak my clothes with brown or rust colored spots. The dryer is spotless inside. I even took off the rubber seal because i thought the glue is what was possibly doing it when it heated up but that didn't help either....This dryer sucks.
This is extremely distressing to me. If someone advised you to jump acoss (bypass) the thermal fuse on the dryer then I am in disagreement. My advise is to trip the breaker at the house power center, remove and replace the dryer main power cord, and replace the thermal fuse. Something is causing the dryer to pull more amperage than it should be, which is what resulted in the melted cord to begin with. You may want to contact a qualified appliance technician to assist in throughly checking the electrical system on the dryer. Until this condition is properly addressed there is a very real safety issue. Really sorry for your trouble and I hope this helped. Best wishes.
You are right. There is not a good connection somewhere. When you say your replaced the cord, did you also replace the plug? Make sure all fittings are tight. Where it is melting, this is where the problem probably is. You can also check the receptacle and see that the wires to it are tight as well. There is a build up of heat or resistance in that area tha tis causing your problem. let me know how you do. Good luck.
most of the time the dryer vent hose,wall vent and dryer vent hole must be clear to allow the dryer to vent,also you can pull dryer hot put you hand on the dryer vent hole turn on and see if it is venting this will let you know if the blower wheel is turning, let me know what you find-mike
ck vent system to outside also ck the vent hose behind dryer to be sure it is not being mashed flat when pushed back..while you have it out ck to see if cord connection screws are tight loose screws can cause cord to overheat and melt insulation causing short..if breaker trips immediately suspect dryer if runs for a time before kicking suspect weak breaker