Question about Sharp R-306LK Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave caught fire

While using the microwave oven, it started to smell of something burning then a flame came out from under it on the back side on the side of the control panel. I had been using it to heat up food in a cardboard container. There was no metal inside of the oven. As soon as the flame came out from under it, I hit the button for the door, which shut the oven off and then unplugged it. I have not used it since. Any ideas?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Sharp Master
  • 8,820 Answers

It sounds like a failed high-voltage transformer.

That oven retails for about $80 right now, so I don't think a non-warranty repair is economical.

But since a FLAME(!) came out of it, I would think you have a VERY strong case to "convince" Sharp to give you a replacement pronto...

You can contact Sharp at 1-800-BE-SHARP (1-800-237-4277).

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Feb 25, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Electrical burning smell


It is hard to tell what is burning, take it to the repair shop

Mar 12, 2013 | Oster OGG61403 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

A plastic container with hidden piece of metal caught fire in my Sharp r1490 and burned with a big flame. Several small holes were burned in the ceiling panel. Are we in danger of radiation exposure/ is...


The microwave oven is not safe to use, the fire has compromised the interior of the oven, if you run the microwave it will start to arc and eventually short out the magnetron, because the white enamel paint has been burned away. If you have holes in the ceiling there is danger of radiation leakage, for safety reasons the oven should be replaced.

Feb 23, 2011 | Sharp R-1490 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My 7year old kenmore microwave 721-62462 occasionally would buzz and flash behind the metal panel on the side of the microwave. This would happen off and on but without any real rhyme or reason. Today it...


ther is a high voltage generator to generate enough power to the magnetron to produce microwaves, it was probably ARCHING voltage to the body of the oven due to a faulty insulator and the paint caught on fire... as for using it well DON'T it is not safe, and will cost more to repare than a new one

Sorry!

Jan 05, 2011 | Kenmore 66469 / 66462 / 66464 Microwave...

1 Answer

Sweet potatoe caught fire in my microwve


the magnatron super heated the paper combined with what we in the industry call super combust your micro should be ok to use just keep it clean and if you use toweling wraP it around rather than cover

Apr 21, 2010 | Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Is it safe to use a microwave if some thing inside of it caught on fire?


Its no problem at all so long as it still runs normally. Only problem, is the smell will annoy you for a while. Give oven a good wipe down with a good cleaning agent.(I'm assuming the fire didn't get out of control).

Sep 27, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker XL 1400


IF THE UNIT IS STILL UNDER THE 90 DAYS BRING IT BACK TO
WHERE YOU GOT IT BEFORE IT STARTS A FIRE!!

Jan 07, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

FIRE


Manufacturers will note that they warn in their owner manuals to never leave a microwave running unattended, so they won't help you any further, I'm sure.

Mmost modern microwaves have a flame sensor inside that will shut the microwave down completely in case flames get too high.

Then the cooling fan and power will shut off, and the fire will almost certainly be smothered pretty quickly due to a lack of air inside the oven.

Also, the inside is metal, thus the only fuel for the fire would have been the potato, which would not have lasted long.

So as scary and disturbing as this event was, I would say the real danger of a fire outside of the oven was miniscule.

The fire probably occured due to a dry or irregular spot in the skin of the potato. Once it's dry, it will of course burn much easier.

So now to the smell...

You should do a Google search on "odor microwave" or "microwave smell" where you can find tips on boiling water & baking soda, then vinegar and water in the microwave to neutralize the smell.

If your microwave does not work, then it may have blown the flame sensor (thermal fuse) and that would have to be replaced.

Please let us know if we can help further.

Nov 15, 2007 | Kenmore 62702 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sharp R-306LK Microwave Oven Logo

135 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sharp Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Are you a Sharp Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...