Question about Refrigerators

2 Answers

Burning Smell A electrical burning smell was coming from behind the frezer. Unplugged it and smell went away. Wondering what I should replace first. The freezer was working ok at the time. Had a power outage today. When power was restored I smelt a electrical burning smell coming from the bottom of the fridge/freezer and then it tripped the electrical safety switch and I could not reset safety switch untill fridge was unplugged. What is possibly wrong with it and has the power outage got anything to do with it(sudden power surge?).

Posted by on

  • 1 more comment 
  • kaliza Feb 18, 2008

    Thanks for replying guys.

    Just got back to the problem in hand.

    Took the back of and could see that the relay had burnt out.Is there any chance that there could be other issues or is this a common occurance and just try replacing the relay?

    If this is the case is it a pretty straight forward job?

    Make is SANYO

    Model No sr-66hx

  • robert samples May 11, 2010

    whats the brand and model number

  • Anonymous Apr 01, 2014

    Reset safety switch and it trips again. Everythings seems okay.

×

2 Answers

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 1,314 Answers

Go to the appliaces store and buy an rc4 three in one reley its simple to put on and more than likely the culpret it you have any promblems putting it on reply to me esp if the reley thats on it is white

Posted on Feb 18, 2008

  • robert samples Feb 18, 2008

    the burning you smell is from the thermo disc in the reley fring pull it off and if the terminals on the comp are ok you should be all right

×

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Genius:

    An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.

  • Master
  • 3,587 Answers

Sounds like the motor is fried or seized up, which would explain that smell.

Posted on Feb 17, 2008

  • Patrick Michaels
    Patrick Michaels Feb 18, 2008

    relays don't burn out for no reason. There are usually other issues to be reviewed. Check the wiring thoroughly, please.

×

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Burning smell Kenmore 50558


If the burning smell is an electrical smell it could be motor or wiring problems which are best handled by a professional. If it smells like burning rubber it is probably the belt. If it smells like burnt wood it could be the belt slipping on the brush roll, if the brush roll is made of wood. Dust and debris can also accumulate behind the end caps of the brush roll causing friction which can cause a burning wood smell.

Mar 30, 2014 | Kenmore 5055, 50557 and 50558...

1 Answer

Something went on fire behind the fan,there was a buirning smell and there was orange light coming from behind the fan. Now the oven wont heatr up


That fire and burning smell was your oven element burning out. The element is located directly behind the fan. This is why your oven will no longer heat up.

If you are going to replace the element yourself, there are some universal elements available (try eBay) much cheaper than the OEM replacement parts. You need to make sure it's the same rating though (e.g. 2000W) and is roughly the same dimensions and has the same fitting pattern.

You will also need a service manual unless you know how to get access to replace the element.

Oct 06, 2010 | Neff B1421 Electric Single Oven

1 Answer

35 inch Sony Trinitron, worked great, then went off w/o warning.


Most of the time the Horizontal circuit fails and by design the Power Supply will also fail.
The smell was one or more components burning
or over heating.
There is a good chance it will be a costly repair.
Hope this helps,
Skyassoc

Jul 05, 2009 | Sony KV-32S26 32" TV

1 Answer

GE Dryer smells like its burning


the burning smell may be caused by a belt some have a look at the belt

Mar 07, 2009 | GE Dryers

4 Answers

Electrical burning smell in house


Mhenn, It is my guess that the 'electrical burning' smell is from your heating system. Since there is no smoke and the walls are not warm.... then there is no real problem. The smell maybe just dust has collected in the duct work that is burning off the central heating systems electrical heat strips. If you have electrical heat strips then that may be the problem. If you have a central gas heat system, it may be the same type problem. Hope this helps you. Henry

Feb 05, 2009 | Honeywell Electronic Programmable...

1 Answer

Burning Rubber smell coming from fridge


try taking the bottom panel off and vacuming all the dust on the coils. The dust may be heating up and burning. The coils are usually at the bottom of the fridge. Check to see if the fan is running also.

Jan 16, 2009 | Refrigerators

1 Answer

Electric burning smell from dryer


first check your dryer vent hole and dryer wall vent to make sure there not clogged with lent,most of the time that's what it is,let me know and we can go on from there-mike

Dec 17, 2008 | Dryers

1 Answer

Burning smell


We had the same problem. After we used it a few times, the smell went away.

Jul 06, 2008 | Whirlpool GGW9250PL Gas Dryer

1 Answer

Burning Smell


Keep it unplugged and look for burned wires, or rubber wires hardened from extreme heat. This will be a good start in finding what is going wrong. One more thing to check is if the compressor is heating up after running for a while. Let it run for 20 min or so, shut off the power and feel the compressor. Is it hot?

Jan 12, 2008 | Frigidaire 14 cu. ft. / 396 liter Upright...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Refrigerators Logo

Related Topics:

639 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Refrigerators Experts

John Tripp
John Tripp

Level 3 Expert

4638 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

yadayada
yadayada

Level 3 Expert

66126 Answers

Are you a Refrigerator Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...