Question about Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

Transformer Hi, Our amp does not power up anymore. According to a professional it is the transformer. Anyone know if and where these are for sale?

Posted by on

  • 4 more comments 
  • Ruud Zijlmans Feb 16, 2008

    Hi Graeme,

    Thank you for your reply.

    We are located in Scotland, United Kingdom.

    The amp is Sherwood Newcastle R-925RDS the numbers on the transformer are: R-925





  • Ruud Zijlmans Feb 16, 2008

    We had a professional repairman testing the amp this morning and he came to the concludion that the transformer is dead.

    well... I can solder a bit, do know my way with a skrewdriver but unfortunately do not have a multimeter.

    I'm ready :)

  • Ruud Zijlmans Feb 16, 2008

    I'd say we have a go at repairing the transformer first.

    No problem, I can get a multimeter, however that will have to wait till tomorrow as it's nearly midnight here.

    I'll mail you tomorrow as soon as I have the multimeter, ok?


  • Ruud Zijlmans Feb 17, 2008

    Hi Graeme,

    Got the multimeter. Probably need some help with that too :(

    Ready when you are :)

  • Ruud Zijlmans Feb 19, 2008

    Hi Graeme,

    I think I have the difficult one :(

    Here's the pic

    I have removed the bracket and the copper band that went over the blue plastic.

  • Graeme Ross
    Graeme Ross May 11, 2010

    Hi there,

    Transformers are generally available as OEM parts from the manufacturer or distributor of same. If you could tell me where you are located and most importantly, the MAKE and MODEL then I can find a part number and a supplier near to you. Some transformers can also be repaired. Waiting your reply.





1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 1,512 Answers

Hi Ruud

How electronics savvy are you... have searched for a parts supplier outside of the US, and ... still searching. I can give you a fix for the transformer if indeed that is what is the problem:) Need you to be able to solder and be handy with a screwdriver, and perhaps have a basic multimeter handy... are you ready? :)

Posted on Feb 16, 2008

  • 1 more comment 
  • Graeme Ross
    Graeme Ross Feb 16, 2008

    Welling Australia is the Sherwood Distributor here in Australia.... have been for years, but I gave up on dealing with them when I was a Sherwood agent years ago... took forever to get anything from them...

    1. I could do a Price and Availability from them to see if I can get the part for you. They are not too hard to change, and you could do it yourself.

    2. Or..... we can have a go at repairing the transformer.... but first, you really need to get a cheapo multimeter.... cost you less than $10 from an electronics hobby store these days.



  • Graeme Ross
    Graeme Ross Feb 19, 2008

    OK, few steps to get there:) i am going to talk you through a visual way of checking the internal thermal fuse in the power transformer

    1. Disconnect unit from the mains

    2. First check for the obvious, an overlooked blown fuse. Check them with your multimeter set to the x1 ohms range.

    It should read less than 1 ohm!! Sometimes fuses can look ok, but actually be faulty. Replace any blown fuse if you find one with the same type and rating. Fire it up again if you find and replace any blown fuse, Otherwise....

    1. Identify the mains power transformer. It is the biggest and heaviest component in the unit.

    2. Inspect the transformer, see if you can spot 2 rows of thick tin plated copper square shaped (about 1x1mm) mounting pegs/terminals that connect the rest of the amp to the transformers internals via single core enamal coated copper wires generally wirewrapped about these same square wire pegs. The primary circuit(mains side) is the thinnest copper wires.

    3. If you cant get into a position to see these terminations, you may have to remove the transformer to get a better look. Don't be afraid to clip any cable ties that have been used to tidy up any excess wiring to the transformer

    4. Look for a pair of tinned copper wires(not enameled copper) connecting to these same wirewrap posts. The same posts will also have a rather thin ennameled copper wire connected to it.

    5. This is the thermal fuse that has probably failed.

    6. Check this for continuity with your ohms meter to read zero ohms.

    If it is open circuit(reads nothing)... then this is why your amp has stopped. You will need to jumper this internal thermal fuse and the amp will work again. Once you have identified which external connections of the transformer are wired to the internal fuse, you can do it from the outside of the transformer on the connection pegs. The thermal fuse is there to satisfy an American mains standard, that we dont need with the MEN system that is used, so no harm comes from jumpering it

    If you are unlucky, the transformer will have the wiring going straight into it, and you may have to actually carefully cut your way into it to find the thermal fuse and then jumper it. The thermal is always mounted on the outside of the windings, but may be under a few layers of tape, plastic, and sometimes a copper band. these are a bit harder to fix, and often you may have to remove the transformer to get access to it. If you think its going to be a difficult one, stop before you start and see if you can find an electrically savvy mate to help you.


    post a picture of it in here and I can assist you directly. Bit limited doing this in here... but I reckon we can do it :) Good Luck



  • Graeme Ross
    Graeme Ross Feb 19, 2008

    hehehe wow that was quick

    bed time here in Aussieland..

    my wife made me come send you this note... more tommorrow:)



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Sanyo sound system built-in transformer amp usage

If no one has the specs on this transformer but you know the power rating, apply this formula: Power/Voltage= Amperage. It might not be a big help but it sure will put you in the right range. The other solution would be to obtain a schematic or parts list for the unit. Hope this helps!

Nov 30, 2013 | Sanyo Audio Players & Recorders

1 Answer

Locked into warming up mode

According to this current situation, you can check witha local professional..b-cos the internal circuitry has to be checked..
check with him if it can be repaired..if not you can replace it..

Dec 07, 2007 | Miele CVA610

1 Answer

I have a Roland AC60 amplifier that I brought from Australia to the US. The Australian version of this amp runs on 240 volts not 110. My question is; 1) does anyone know if converting this amp to...

The only simple way that I could think of is for you to purchase a STEP DOWN TRANSFORMER rated at 500 watt, 110 volts, 60cycle. The transformer inside that amplifier have four output 12v and 15v DC.2amps It will be hard to get the transformer for that! Hope that might help you! taah!

Nov 18, 2010 | Roland Ac60 Acoustic Chorus Guitar...

1 Answer

Got a Marlboro Power Pak at a yard sale. He said it was never used but it did not come with an AC power cord to charge it. I plugged in what came with it to my cigerette lighter and it did not charge. Does...

Charging via your cigarete lighter would be VERY SLOW, especially if the device has sat aaround and discharged.

If it has a place to plug in AC, often one can find cords at thrift stores that will fit the connector.

Some of these used wall transformer units supplying 13 or 14 volts to charge.

The battery may be so far down it may damage the charger.

Apr 27, 2010 | Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

Looking for technical manuals

I talked to 3 different departments at ITI, they all say you can't get them anymore (sales, tech support, and repair) No one even has a number for a refurb equipment company.

: : ITI part #60-145-235 Canada part #60-366
: : The power transformer supplies a DC voltage of approximately 13 to 14 VDC (unloaded) to the CPU through terminals 1 & 2. Additionally,it contains the line carrier circuitry for the Wireless Interior Siren through terminal 3. The AC power indicator voltage for the CPU is carried through terminal 4.
: : The Transformer is fused with a 400 mA fuse on the primary side of the transformer. Replace only with a 400 mA 250V Time Lag Fuse (ITI Part #33-023).
This is all I could locate, hope something here helps.
please leave rating. thank you

May 06, 2009 | Computers & Internet

1 Answer

I cant get it to turn on

Hi lillady909,

I'm Harvey the Master Plumber.

Your problem is: you cant get the lights or fan to turn on anymore is there a reset switch

First check the circuit breaker. If OK then check the transformer in the unit. It's next to the fan motor. If no power on the high side then you have a loose or broken connection. If you have no power on the low side the you have a bad transformer.

Feel free contact me again!
Please give me a rating here at before you sign off
Thank you,
Harvey your Master Plumber

Sep 23, 2008 | Jenn-Air ® 48" Professional Over The...

1 Answer

Crown XLS 802 D Amplifier Transformer!

You will need AC to AC converter that will accomodate US to UK mains. Look for power requirements of your amp on name plate and match with available converters online. Make sure power line frequencies match in/out requiremnts

Apr 17, 2008 | Crown XLS 802 D Amplifier

Not finding what you are looking for?
Audio Players & Recorders Logo

Related Topics:

122 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Audio Players & Recorders Experts


Level 3 Expert

5515 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

75786 Answers

Are you an Audio Player and Recorder Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides