Question about Whirlpool GH7145XF Microwave Oven
Generally, the most common causes of a failure to heat are:
- bad door switches or door switch mounts
- loose connection at the magnetron
- problem or loose connection on the control unit circuit board
- bad magnetron or other high voltage part (such as a shorted diode)
I would first suspect a failed door switch or loose door switch mount.
If you or a friend decide to look into it, we have critical safety information, info on door switch diagnosis and replacement, and disassembly information at our site, and our link is at our listing here on FixYa: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383
There should also be a very helpful "mini-manual" hidden inside the unit behind the control panel. It's very helpful when troubleshooting.
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Feb 27, 2008
Most likely is the magnetron that failed. This is very common problem with microwaves.
Check the user manual under warranty, sometimes the magnetron has 5 years warranty.
Posted on Feb 16, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 26, 2014 | Oster Microwave Ovens
Mar 13, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....
Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips
Feb 10, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
It sounds like the magnetron may have
either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high
voltage required to run it.
SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT
This is a job for a professional but if
you are safety clued up, here's instruction.
Make sure the !!!!capacitor is discharged!!!!! before attempting any sort of repair.
Check the door interlock switches first then the high voltage diode with either an AVO model 8 or moving coil meter on high resistance range for short circuit, (DVM's won't show the fault!), the capacitor can fail and go short circuit, the feed fuse on the primary of the high voltage transformer and then finally, the magnetron is best checked by substitution.
Hope that helps.
simple safety test.
Place 1/2 litre of water in a glass container. Measure the temperature of the water.
Place in microwave and heat on full power for 1minute.
Measure the temperature after it has stood for 1minute.
If the temperature difference is more than 9 degrees Celcuis the magnetron is working and producing about 700Watts of heat.
If your microwave is labelled with 900 or 1000Watts. That is about right.
If the temperature is less then the magnetron is not working properly and may need replacing.
This a only a rough guide and any doubts you should consult an authorised service agent.
Jan 26, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
May 19, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 03, 2009 | GE JVM1870 Microwave Oven
Sep 04, 2017 | Jenn-Air JMC8127DD Microwave Oven
91 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: