a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
it has nothing to do with the magnetron. first you have to fix step one. then you will know if the magnetron is bad. its one or two of the primary switches on the bottom of the switch tower. usually with these mw if you dont press cancel to stop the mw, and you just push the latch to stop it, those wires heat up and cause the microswitches to burn and loose proper contacts.
put a cup of water in the mw. set it to one minute and as its counting down. push on the latch LIGHTLY, as to not fully open the door and you will hear the magnetron kick on and the turn table start to rotate
the problem could be with 2 component. The diode or the magnetron. normally when the diode goes bad, the microwave will make a humming sound. The microwave will tend to sound almost normal when its the magnetron. Or sometimes it will make a sparking noise when put to heat.
You already know it can be a costly mistake. Had it happen in my own home!!!!
Several things can be wrong:
1. The Fuse inside the unit
2. The High Voltage Capacitor
3. The Power Diode
4. (bad news) The Magnetron.
There is an RF window that can be bad also as when a microwave is run with no load it can be burned. It is supposed to help protect the Magnetron from reverse flow RF and help disperse the RF inside the unit.
The next question is: "Are you going to talke this by yourself or have it repaired?" We can you advise on what to do but there are some hazards that you need to be aware of if your going top give it a go..... Just reply here. Thanks.
you may have gotten a power surge and that can cause some funny things to happen, 1st is there power to the oven, 2nd if so there may be an internal fuse protector built in to the oven, check with the manual for anything of that sort listed. if not you may have to take it in and have it repaired by a pro. there is a lot of voltage in these ovens and unless you know what you are doing a person could get hurt
The extreme heat has opened up one of the thermostats / thermal cutouts (TCOs) in the oven.
If it was the bottom TCO or magnetron TCO, you should be able to access them by just removing the control panel.
But if it's the one on top of the cavity, the oven will have to come out of the wall, then you need to pull of the outer cover..
so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have
two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.
You can download GE
owner's manuals and installation instructions here.
should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit
control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is
very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.
You should locate and look this over first.
our Web site, we have a video
available showing how to remove a typical
over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.
You can usually find
helpful exploded view diagrams and order
entering your full model number here.
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.
sounds like there is a switch that is bad. you can go buy a new MW for about 200$ and in yours if there is a major problem then i would just go buy a new one but might be worth a repair man to come check it out
pleas do not poke around in the microwave as it carries a charge of 5000volts and can kill you even if not plugged in DON'T TOUCH THE WIRES WITH BRAIDS ON THE OUT SIDE if you must get inside of the unit