Question about Philips 202P40 22" CRT Monitor
Assuming no hardware/component fault, the dimness of a monitor signifies near end of life of the CRT (tube).
There are a few tricks/tweaks that can be done but of course these are just prolonging the inevitable. Should you want to give any of them a try, they are:
1. Adjust the Screen controller at the rear of the Flyback Transformer (FBT) to maximum effective brightness. It may also be needed to adjust the Focus control;
2. In some versions, there are sub-bright and/or Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL) trimpots soldered direct to the PCB that can be adjusted;
3. the heater voltage can be slightly increased either by using a stepdown transformer that has multiple taps about1~2 amps. In some instances, the heater has an external loop around the core of the FBT, adding a turn or so would also serve the same;
4. adding a 100uF/160V capacitor after the diode of the FBT's output that supplies the 3 color drive transistors.
5. use the HV/anode cap of a small monochrome monitor to inject high voltage to the screen grids of the picture tube of the 22" CRT. the heater of the 22" CRT must be temporarily shorted.
All of the above require familiarity and knowledge of electronic components and circuitry, use of a soldering iron and working around high voltages.
If you are not comfortable going through this route, perhaps your best bet would be to seek the services of a qualified professional.
If your concern has not been corrected after completion of the above procedures, you may need to replace the monitor.
Hope this be of initial help/idea. Pls post back how things turned up or should you need additional information.
Good luck and kind regards.
Thank you for using FIXYA.
Posted on Feb 15, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 14, 2010 | Canon EOS 550D Rebel T2i Digital Camera
Mar 01, 2010 | Acer Aspire 3000 Notebook
Nov 07, 2009 | Gateway FPD 1730 17" Flat Panel LCD...
Sep 16, 2009 | Dell Studio 1537 Laptop
May 04, 2009 | Computers & Internet
May 26, 2008 | Emerson EWC19T3 19 in. TV/VCR/DVD Combo
Jan 07, 2007 | LG Flatron F700B 17" CRT Monitor
Oct 04, 2006 | JVC AV-27530 27" TV
185 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!