I have an 80 gig western digital external hard drive, I when i try to copy or delete a file or a folder, an error message comes up saying; cannot find sector, or something of that nature. I tried to format it and it another message says that it cannot complete formating. Then i check the properties and it shows me that used space and free space are 0 bytes. Please let me know what next to do.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Yes it can,. Your external HDD will show up in "my Computer" as another drive. You can transfer files simply using copy and paste. (or edit -> copy files to folder) which I advise. Bear in mind that hidden, and read only files will not be copied. These files include the mailboxes in Outlook Express. So be careful. I advise making copies of all files of this kind, first.
1. You need to check how much free disk space is available on your laptop.
2. You need to check what duplicated files you have on both the laptop and the external hard drive and which is the latest version.
3. You need to decide to move the latest versions of the data files from the external hard drive to the laptop. This automatically delete these from the external hard drive. The older versions on the external hard drive can be deleted.
4. Now you need to check how much data is stored on your external hard drive.
5. If the amount of data stored on the external hard drive exceeds the available disk space on the laptop, then you cannot copy these files to the laptop.
6. If you have sufficient disk space on the laptop you can copy the data from the external hard drive to the laptop. I suggest you make a folder to copy this data to it.
You can now delete all the data from the external hard drive or you can format the external hard drive to make a clean external hard drive.
What do you mean by only certain files? from photo's? Its possible they are hidden files. Go to tools then folder options. then view In the hidden files and folders section set it to show hidden files and folders. and take the check mark out of hide extensions for known file types and hide protected operating system files. check for your files after that.
Once you have it off I would suggest changing those settings back.
If not removed safely, external devices can lose information when disconnected.
I recommend using a free recovery tool called Handy Recovery which is normally used to recover files accidentally files on a PC. The application can also be used to try and recover files on your external HD.
Handy recovery: http://www.handyrecovery.com/download.shtml (look for the small button near the bottom that says 'Freeware')
Is it showing the 300gig in the properties? if yes then try to copy with command mode,If again its given problem then u need to backup your data and format the drive, then try copying.I think it will work.