Question about Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL Flatbed Scanner
Scanning line art, comes up all black with no image. Also, half way through the scan machine vibrates a little like something is getting stuck.
9800XL - fix for failing lamps
1) Unplug the scanner - not just from the computer, but also from the AC!
2) If your unit has a Transparent Media Adapter on top, disconnect it from the back of the scanner, lift it off and set it aside.
3) Remove the four white slotted screws at rear of unit.
4) Remove the four Philips screws in the area surrounding the glass scanning bed.
5) Carefully lift the top off, and set it aside.
6) Inside the scanner, there will be a black metal contraption that rides the two steel rails in the unit. On the side of the contraption are some black screws. This device contains the lamps as well as the image sensor. Unscrew the 4 screws that hold the top cover on. Lift off the top cover. You may gently move the thingy along the rails for easier screw access, it will automatically reseat itself when powered on.
7) Inside this area, you will see a small circuit board. Disconnect the two connectors on it, remove the two screws that hold the board in place, and lift it out.
8) On this circuit board there should be one or two damaged capacitors. Unsolder them and replace them with 2 33pF 3kV capacitors (cost: under $1.00)
9) Put the whole thing back together, and it should function properly.
Posted on Apr 20, 2012
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 02, 2010 | Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL Flatbed Scanner
May 26, 2009 | Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL Flatbed Scanner
Feb 13, 2009 | Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL Flatbed Scanner
Apr 25, 2008 | Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL Flatbed Scanner
Mar 04, 2008 | Microtek ScanMaker 9800XL Flatbed Scanner
555 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!