Question about Dell Inspiron 710m Notebook
I closed my Dell Inspiron 710M notebook. When I opened it up again the screen was blank. The computer seems to be working, but not the screen. Any ideas?
When you close the lid, there is a small pin that engages the case and flips a switch to tell the laptop the case has been closed. The monitor will ALWAYS turn off then, because otherwise, the heat build up would burn the screen! Do not try to defeat this, replacing an LCD screen is usually more expensive than the value of the laptop!
Now, that all being said (and please remember), the situation you have now is (hopefully) just that the laptop tried/succeeded in going into ACPI "suspend" or "hibernate" mode.
1. Remove all cables and 10/100. Remove all USB devices. Just leave the PSU (AC power supply) connected.
2. Press the power button firmly, JUST once. Wait. And I mean WAIT, because some laptops can take 2 minutes or more to come out of suspend/hibernate, if they were very busy at the time it was shut down.
3. If the LCD screen lights up. you are done. But if it does not light up now, then proceed to step 4.
4. Press and HOLD the power button down for 10 seconds. This forces the laptop to shut down completely, even from suspend/hibernation. Some unsaved files may be lost, but tghe laptop goes cold, so you can start ACPI over again.
5. After a few minutes, press the power button again, firmly, just ONCE and for 1 second max. Laptop should start up OK.
6. Once it starts up, go to START MENU/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/POWER SETTINGS and search for the "hibernation" tab. Turn hibernation OFF. your laptop obviously has some problems or lack of responsiveness with hibernation (most do). Use suspend, instead. It is much safer,. faster, and still does a good job of saving HDD and LCD wear. Please let me know how this goes for you, there are other more detailed problems that may be involved here, but I suspect this is most likely.
Posted on Feb 11, 2008
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 18, 2011 | Dell Inspiron 710m Notebook
Oct 31, 2010 | Dell Inspiron 6400 Notebook
Jun 22, 2017 | Dell Inspiron 1545 Notebook
Jun 23, 2010 | Dell Inspiron 710m Notebook
Mar 20, 2010 | Dell Inspiron 710m Notebook
Jun 07, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 6000 Notebook
Jun 04, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 710m Notebook
Jul 10, 2008 | Dell Inspiron 1000 Notebook
259 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: