The problem is not: the power cord or the dc jack. Does that mean that it must be the motherboard? If so is this a simple swap of a new board for the old? Never done this before. Thanks a lot for any help.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Hello.The most common reasons for power issues are the battery, power jack and power adapter/cord.Power off and remove the battery. If the laptop powers on with just the adapter connected, your battery is faulty.If you move/wiggle the hp pavilion dv6700 power adapter at the point where it connects to the laptop, and the power goes off and on, the power jack is the problem.The power jack is inside the laptop and either needs soldering or replacement. If a power jack problem, it should be addressed by someone knowledgeable.If no change, the power adapter is probably faulty and needs replacement.Hope this helps.
Sounds like your DC Power Jack where the Power Cord plugs into the computer is bad.
Take an ink pen and push the tip inside the jack and see if
the little pin wiggles, if so the jack is bad. You'll have to take the laptop
apart to fix it. Most times it is soldered onto the motherboard, so you
will have to desolder the old and solder a new one.
If the DC Power Jack is bad, then eventually the
battery is going to die and you won't be able to boot your laptop. If
the dc power jack is bad, the ac adapter power cord can't charge the battery.
Maybe the battery is bad. Just because it's new does not mean it will work.
your laptop power on and work with the AC Adapter and Power Cord? If
not, that is why your battery is not charging. You need a New AC
Adapter & Power Cord or the DC Jack where the Power Cord plugs into
the laptop is bad or broken.
Maybe your DC Power Jack which is where the
power cord plugs into the computer is bad. Take an ink pen and push the
tip inside the jack and see if the little pin wiggles, if so the jack is bad.
You'll have to take the laptop apart to fix it. Most times it is soldered
onto the motherboard, so you will have to desolder the old and solder a new
I think your DC Power Jack is bad. The DC Power Jack is where the power cord plugs into the laptop. If it is bad, then a good power cord cannot charge the battery, nor can the laptop turn on once the battery is drained.
You say it smelled burnt, that might mean it took a power surge. I always tell people that before your plug the power cord into the electrical outlet on the wall to remove the other end of the cord from the laptop. That way if you get a power surge you will only damage the power cord and not the dc power jack or motherboard.
Anyway, take an ink pen and push it into the dc power jack and see if there is some movement. The little pin or the casing of the jack should not wiggle.
The DC Jack is soldered onto the motherboard. To replace it you will have to take the laptop apart, desolder the old dc jack and solder a new jack onto the board. Sometimes the DC Jack sits in a slot rather than being soldered. The palmrest and bottom case helps to keep it in place. This type of DC Jack usually has a cable harness that plugs into the motherboard.
Laptops don't boot for the following reasons: 1) Bad Power Cord. 2) Bad DC Power Jack where the power cord plugs into the laptop. 3) Static Charge Buildup. 4) Bad Motherboard.
The above 4 reasons are when you press the power button and absolutely nothing happens. You hear no fans running, no disk drive running, no one time clicking sound on the CD Drive and No light for a second or two when the CD drives click. In the case of a motherboard issue sometimes you will hear beep sounds or see blinking lights. Those beep sounds and blinking lights tells the technician what is going on with your motherboard and why it will not boot.
So you have a power light which means your power cord and dc power jack is good. So lets see if you have a static charge buildup.
Remove the Power Cord and the Battery from the laptop, then Press and Hold the Power Button for 30 seconds. After 30 seconds put the power cord back into the laptop, but leave the battery out. Press the power button to see if it boots. If it does you had a Static Charge Buildup and it's ok to put your battery back in. If it does not you more than likely have an issue with your motherboard.
You particular mode probably has the Nvidia GPU Graphics Card in it and it's a well document known manufacturer's defect all over the internet. If you see lights blinking or hear beeps but nothing appears on the LCD Screen make sure you count the blinks and count the beeps. More than likely you have the Nvidia problem and you missed the recall and the extended warranty because HP got away without tell all their customers. The only way you would have known is if you just happened upon their website.
You'll need to get your Graphics Card Reflowed and that requires a complete disassembly of your laptop. Get a quote from your local repair shop then check out the guys at: http://www.generalsystemsconsulting.com They will repair it and ship it back by Fedex or UPS and their price will beat most quotes including the shipping.
I am not exactly sure what is the problem. Are you certain it is a power problem with the mother board? It could also be damaged or non functional.
Here's a troubleshooting guide from HP that might help you.
and the product's manual:
Test your voltage on your power supply...There should be a voltage amount on the sticker on your power supply telling the output.Make sure yours is putting out the right amount.If this test good,your probally looking at a bad dc jack.Jacks need to be checked by a certified repair person.....Goodluck......If this is helpful ...Be so kind as to give a testimonial.....Thank you
this usually means that theres a hardware problem. its possible that you could have short-circuited a device from ESD when you changed your DC jack. always remember, before you take apart your computer, even as symple as swapping RAM, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery, and press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to clear the sensitive circuitry of any remaining juice. if you have the BIOS beeps disabled (as they are default in most newer systems) then you have a real problem. try to listen for the fans to kick on and the hard drive to kick up. if everything sounds ok, then it might be the videocard or the ram. usually, from my past experience, its the processor that has burnt out. but then again, im an overclocker.