Question about Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Servise Pack 2 (e8503040) for PC
Until now I was the only user in my computer and I didn't need to use any password, but I remember that I did store one for the admin when I installed windows XP. My roommate asked me to use my computer and after he messed up one of my files I decided to add another user and to block the access to some of the folders. Everything went great and I created the User, changed the folders setting and the way you login to my computer. When I did restart I have 2 users, but I forgot the admin password and I can't login with my user only the new user I created. I can't change anything because the new user have limited access. I can't believe I did something so stupid, please help I am desperate. I forgotmy administrative password as I am trying to protect my children from the dangers of the intrnet and to protect my files. I feel so foolish. April c.
Here is an easy and free way to change or reset your admin password.
1. Place your Windows XP CD in your cd-rom and start your computer (it’s assumed here that your XP CD is bootable – as it should be - and that you have your bios set to boot from CD)
2. Keep your eye on the screen messages for booting to your cd Typically, it will be “Press any key to boot from cd”
3. Once you get in, the first screen will indicate that Setup is inspecting your system and loading files.
4. When you get to the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER to Setup Windows now
5. The Licensing Agreement comes next - Press F8 to accept it.
6. The next screen is the Setup screen which gives you the option to do a Repair.
It should read something like “If one of the following Windows XP installations is damaged, Setup can try to repair it”
Use the up and down arrow keys to select your XP installation (if you only have one, it should already be selected) and press R to begin the Repair process.
7. Let the Repair run. Setup will now check your disks and then start copying files which can take several minutes.
8. Shortly after the Copying Files stage, you will be required to reboot. (this will happen automatically – you will see a progress bar stating “Your computer will reboot in 15 seconds”
9. During the reboot, do not make the mistake of “pressing any key” to boot from the CD again! Setup will resume automatically with the standard billboard screens and you will notice Installing Windows is highlighted.
10. Keep your eye on the lower left hand side of the screen and when you see the Installing Devices progress bar, press SHIFT + F10. This is the security hole! A command console will now open up giving you the potential for wide access to your system.
11. At the prompt, type NUSRMGR.CPL and press Enter. Voila! You have just gained graphical access to your User Accounts in the Control Panel.
12. Now simply pick the account you need to change and remove or change your password as you prefer. If you want to log on without having to enter your new password, you can type control userpasswords2 at the prompt and choose to log on without being asked for password. After you’ve made your changes close the windows, exit the command box and continue on with the Repair (have your Product key handy).
13. Once the Repair is done, you will be able to log on with your new password (or without a password if you chose not to use one or if you chose not to be asked for a password). Your programs and personalized settings should remain intact.
Let me know how it goes.
Posted on Feb 09, 2008
It is simple turn off your laptop.Restart and press the F8 key repeatedly until you get a menu that has an option to go into safe mode. Select the relevant option number then press enter.
Then it wont ask you for any password,just go to control panel>user accounts>add or remove user account,here change your password or remove it. Thats it you are done,shut it down and thn restart it and at your welcome screen enter da new pass.
Use hiren boot software.
its a bootable software which u have to write on a cd and boot the pc using that cd
CLick HERE to download it.
Please don't forget to rate me as fixya..
Posted on Feb 09, 2008
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 02, 2012 | Toshiba Computers & Internet
on Apr 15, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Apr 22, 2012 | ASUS Computers & Internet
Nov 27, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Aug 07, 2009 | Compaq Presario 5000 PC Desktop
Sep 04, 2008 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional With...
Aug 26, 2008 | Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional for PC
81 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: