Question about Royal VF1000MX Shredder
I also have the same shredder and it works great.. a few weeks ago noticed that in ON mode it stays ON - teeth running - and doesn't automatically turn OFF as it used to. I thought the teeth might be dry from too much shredding so I oiled them but it still keeps on running w/o turning off automatically. does anyone else have this problem?
More than likely, it is the sensor that is blocked or dirty.
Unplug the machine. If you take a flashlight and shine it down in the paper hole, you will see a square cutout in the plastic on the left hand side. That's where the sensor is. It is either covered with a strip of paper, or dirty from dust, or simply burned out
You can try this:
- Take a cotton swab
- Moisten it with some isopropyl alcohol (not dripping wet, just damp)
- Push it down into that square cutout. Move it around for a few seconds
- Blow some air in there. This will help clear any loose dirt away from the sensor eye. It will also help the alcohol evaporate quicker.
- Plug the machine back in. If it works as it should Great.
If not, here is the harder way to clean that sensor:
- Unplug the machine
- Take the paper catch bin out
- Flip the machine upsidedown. Pieces of paper will fly everywhere.
- There are 4 aluminum screws that hold the base onto the motor; two on each side.
- There are 6-7 brass screws that hold the top lid onto the gear housing. You will need a screwdriver that reaches about two to three inches deep.
- Holding the top piece on, flip the unit over right-side up
- The one side, of the top piece, will feel looser than the other. Remove the top part, being careful to not pull any of the wires.
Now you have a real easy way to get to the sensor. Give it a good cleaning with the cotton swab and isopropyl alcohol.
Don't try and test it immediately, as the unit doesn't function until it is put back together and the paper catch bin is put back on.
- Reverse the process to put it back together.
- Put the catch bin in and try it.
If it still doesn't work, then the sensor is probably bad.
Posted on Dec 02, 2009
There might be a piece of paper stuck in between or something else, unplug it and clean it using a toothbrush or whatever else fits, if it's totally clean and the problem persist try turning it on and plug/unplug it multiple times.
If that doesn't work it's an internal problem and you can try fixing it yourself or get it done by someone else.
Posted on Feb 08, 2008
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 27, 2017 | Staples Office Equipment & Supplies
Dec 08, 2016 | Shredder Office Equipment & Supplies
Nov 21, 2016 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Mar 31, 2011 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Dec 16, 2010 | Office Equipment & Supplies
Aug 10, 2009 | Achiever SCS-6 Strip-Cut Shredder
Jan 07, 2008 | Office Equipment & Supplies
414 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: