I have a PC that I use here at work. It runs QB 2008, Outlook, UPS Worldship and the internet and that's about it. I was gone for three months and when I came back, it runs as slow as molasses. Even when I am not running any programs. Can you give me some good programs to run checks or find the items that should not be running on my computer? I have no idea what should or should not be. I have no idea what my replacements did to it while I was gone. I have Windows XP SP2 on a standalone computer.
An expert who has written 3 tips or uploaded 2 video tips.
An expert who has written 2 tips or uploaded 1 video tip.
Re: My comptuer is running very slowwwwwwww......
Sorry, but I don't any programs that can check if there are any useless programs to uninstall. But since you don't know what happened to your computer, you may first run a registry scan for the errors, clean the registry errors, this could effectively boost computer speed and performance. If Windows registry optimizer doesn't help, may be you could reinstall the OS, this always tends to be an effective way to speed up computer, even it takes some time and you need to backup important files.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: My comptuer is running very slowwwwwwww......
Hi, The "Windows Live Update" is ON, it just made a download of updates from Microsoft... You need to remove them by going to "Control Panel" select "Add/Remove Programs" find windows updates there and uninstall them... You don't need them. The system restarts.
Next, same go to "Control Panel" on classic view, Click on "System" choose "Automatic Updates" turn that off.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Is you computer slow when using software offline? If so, it is either AOL or your internet. Don't judge the speed strictly by going to AOL. Go to Speakeasy Speed Test and test your internet speed. If that shows your internet is running at the speed you are paying for, it si AOL having trouble. You don't say which browser you are using, but most browsers have an option to block pop-ups. Make sure it is on.
Run a virus scan on your PC to see if it is infected. Also defrag your hard drive to speed it up some.
You can't really download Outlook Express as it is part of Windows XP. If it is not there, you can add it though the Add/Remove Programs option in the Control Panel. Select the Windows Components icon in the left-hand pane.
In Vista Outlook Express is replaced by Windows Mail, and in Windows 7 there is no email program, but you can download Windows Live Mail.
although, not specified what you did but i presume 2 actions:
1. Running the program and cannot be completely loaded, it means that there's a program that block your Norton Internet Security 2008 to run, and that might be a Virus or Trojan. or someone is hacking in your pc (might be). and this will happen, if your Norton Internet Security 2008 is not updated and/or you install an internet plug ins in some of your visited website and through that plug ins the website administrator has a link in your pc to access, but not all.
solution: try to uninstall and fresh install your Norton Internet Security 2008 but before you do that make sure that you have a supported docs like cd key and response code from Norton if any, to successfully install your anti virus. and before you install, unplug your connection from internet (install offline, after installation, update it and scan your pc).
2. you install your Norton Internet Security 2008 and cannot be completely loaded, it means that Norton program is corrupted. please have a fresh copy in cd if any and install it.
Mostlikely you are infected with either a Virus or a peace of spyware.Go get Ad-awarehttp://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2008/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlPid=10844457and install it and run a scan on your comptuer. when you are done withthat go get Spybot Search and destroyhttp://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10861988and install/run it. once you are done go tohttp://housecall.antivirus.com and run a free virus scann.
ifthis doesnt help please give us more information. What email system areyou you using? Yahoo? Google? and are you using Outlook, OutlookExpress, Eudora, Thunderbird, or something else to check your email?
Mostlikely you are infected with either a Virus or a peace of spyware. Go get Ad-aware http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2008/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5&cdlPid=10844457 and install it and run a scan on your comptuer. when you are done with that go get Spybot Search and destroy http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10861988 and install/run it. once you are done go to http://housecall.antivirus.com and run a free virus scann.
if this doesnt help please give us more information. What email system are you you using? Yahoo? Google? and are you using Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora, Thunderbird, or something else to check your email?
Error -6177 means that the file is not accessible at the location QuickBooks is trying to open it.
The reasons for this may be:
1. The network is offline. Make sure that the directory is available or that you're still connected to the network.
2. The file was deleted by someone else available on the network.
3. If you have recently updated Quickbooks from an earlier version, then the cause may be a bug with the product itself. It has been reported by other users that they experience Error 6177 everytime they try to open a previously existing file.