- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
TomTom's GPS devices provide consumers with portable navigation solutions. Download maps, view turn by turn updates and listen to spoken directions on trips across town or across the country. TomTom has a variety of GPS products, but basic use and inputting destination information are almost identical across the board. If you're just taking your TomTom out of the box, you'll need to perform a few extra steps to complete set up. I am listing the 7 steps to use TomTom below;
1. Ensure your TomTom unit is fully charged. A full charge requires approximately two hours. Power the unit by pressing and holding the "On/Off" button for approximately two seconds. Make sure you are in an unobstructed area. Wait for the Tom Tom to power up and acquire a satellite signal.
2. Answer the on-screen questions to set up your device. The questions only appear if this is the first time you've used your Tom Tom. Otherwise, the driving view and your current location will be displayed.
3. Tap the center of the screen to open the main menu. Tap "Navigate To" and then tap "Address."
4. Choose the option that describes how you wish to enter the address you are navigating to. You may tap "City Center," "Street and House Number," "Zip Code" or "Cross Street or Intersection." To enter an exact address, choose the "Street and House Number" option.
5. Type in the requested information by tapping the letters or numbers on the screen. As you type, matching town and street names will appear in a list format. Choose the correct option from the list when it is displayed by tapping it. If prompted, enter the house number by tapping the corresponding numbers on the screen. When you are finished, tap "Done".
6. Select "Yes" or "No" when asked if you need to arrive at a particular time. If "Yes" is chosen, follow the instructions to enter in the desired arrival time.
Finally, follow the on screen and spoken directions to reach your destination.
On a couple of occasions, we've hit application crashes, specifically
the following: "TomTom Navigator.exe has performed an illegal operation
and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program
vendor. Program: TomTom Navigator.exe. Exception: 0xc0000005, Address:
000b2c6c". We got this using v2.24 (361). We've seen two solutions
This may be a problem with
custom POI files. Check the names used - the bitmap and the datafile
must have identical names: first one capital - rest lowercase.
One user solved the problem
by removing the optional colour schemes that were obtained from
the TomTom site. Removal solved the problem.
We found that reinstalling the
map (not the application), solved the problem. If you get a similar
crash, check the files in the map folder for anything odd.
You entered the address as a destination? Tap Navigate to and select Recent destinations. Select that address and tap details. It will give you the choice to show demo. Select the maximum demo speed and (virtually) navigate to that place.
I have a tomtom too, and it sounds like the map files are corrupt, it should have come with a CD, you need to plug your tomtom into your computer with the given USB, and turn on TOMTOM HOME. You'll then need to go to "Back up and Restore" and restore your tomtom to the factory settings! Also you might try to push the very small reset button located in a little hole somewhere on the device, you'll have to hold it down with a pin or something! THAT MAY WORK... but i know for a FACT that the restore WILL.
ALSO, if you dont have TOMTOM HOME, you can download it HERE: http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=16&tab=87
This is a simple fix. On the main menu, scroll over until you see an option Clear Route. Choose this and it will ask you if you want it to clear this route. Click yes, and it should go back to the map in "follow me" mode.