ZD7000 Lights, no fans, power switch not working.............
Wife was having problems with battery life. Said it worked for 1.5 hrs 2 days ago on a test and now nothing. I finally removed the battery. The switch to pop it out is jacked up. Used compress air to clean fans and kybrd. Now when battery installed I get all the blue lights, no hd activity, no screen, On/Off switch doesn't work. Just the all the blue lights. I get the same with AC power installed with or without the battery in except with the AC pwr I get the blue light in the front showing AC power connected...
Dismantled notebook thinking compressed air removed component or connection. Nothing. Reassembled most of notebook. Left battery and power disconnected for 6.5 hours, I later plugged only AC power into unit. Fans started spinning. Completed assemble of notebook and installed the battery. Blue lights returned. Problem seems to be the battery. Shorts out something and needs about 6 hours drain out. Works great now without battery, using AC power only. Ordered new battery.....
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I would try the following steps, then contact HP (if these don't work, chances are it's hardware related).
1) Remove the battery and power cable.
2) Hold down the power button for 3 seconds.
3) Reattach the power cable and battery.
4) Try to boot again.
I had a similar though somewhat different problem. My zd7000 was plugged in but it was oscillating between charging the battery and running from the battery. In the past I'd adjust the jack position and life was good - this time nothing mattered. I turned the laptop off and noticed that the charge light came on and stayed on - I guessed something was freaky with the battery so I switched to my spare - the charger light came on, I turned on the power I had a brief power on followed by zzzzttt then everything died. I could smell the stench of electrical burning. I disassemble the whole laptop and removed the motherboard - the back of the power jack is burned. A new jack is $10.
If I had to guess, I"d guess you have a bad jack. I've seen offers to repair this on the net for $100. If the offer is legit, I'd rather pay the bucks - theres only 5 billion screws in the laptop - plus the risk of static discharge damaging to boards or the pain of getting the processor heat sink out without damaging the processor and then getting heat conducting "grease" between the processor and the heat sink when you put it all back together again. I figured my unit was dead anyway, might as well see if I could find the issue. Now I need to get a new jack - and see if I can get it all back together again...
Dont know why you are trying to shut down with the power button,. But that said. right click the desktop, select properties, go to the screen saver tab, then power. In power go to the advanced tab. There you will have drop downs with options. WHEN it press the power button- shut down - do nothing - hibernate - etc.
Have you cleaned or blown out the ventilation ducts and grills since you have owned it. If you haven't, there is the possiblility that the thermal paste has been baked off the processor and there has been damage done to the motherboard. The laptop will run fine with no battery installed. Get a few cans of compressed air from an office supply store and using short bursts of air, blow out the grills and all the compartments. If there is easy access to the heatsink, most likely that needs to be pulled and cleaned, as well as the processor and new layer of thermal grease applied. Remember though, if it isn't powering up at all, there could be the possiblility that the ac adapter is no longer putting out the correct voltage to power the system up efficiently. Have your power supply tested, to make sure it is putting out the correct voltage under load.
The graphics chip needs resoldering (reflow). Got the same laptop in for repair yesterday. At first when power cord plugged in all LEDS stay, hard drive spins but fans don't work and nothing on screen. A bit later everything's dead. I've seen too many HPs with poor soldering issues. can't really say they're making good laptops these years.