Question about Harman Kardon AVR 100

3 Answers

How do I connect a turntable

There is not a specific jack for "phone in". what are my options for connecting my turntable. I do have a DAK mixer that would alllow me to connect to a "line in". again, what are my options.

thank you,


Posted by on

3 Answers

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Expert
  • 185 Answers

I agree with 'radio head.'
Turntables require a particular frequency response and the input needs to be correctly equalised to accommodate this. If your amp had phono inputs these would be equalised internally.

Unfortunately, many modern amps no longer have phono inputs. There are two possibly three options.
1) You could obtain a turntable that includes built in Phono eq
2) As 'radio head' says, you can obtain in line active equalisers. These are called RIAA Equalisers (Equalizers if you're in the US) or RIAA preamps. This allows you to plug your turntable into a small box, then plug the box into one of the audio inputs on the back of your amp.
3) You may be able to adjust your mixer to the required frequency response and use it as a preamp.

What you cannot do, regrettably, is just plug your turntable into an ordinary audio input. It will not do any harm if you want to try it and it will make a noise, but you won't like it!

Posted on Feb 04, 2008

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

You will need a phono pre amp there are small one made and this will allow you use any line in you express has them and radio shack use to carry them.. maybe try guitar center or a dj supply.

Posted on Feb 04, 2008

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 5 Answers

You may be able to plug the phono into any other jack not in use ,such as tape ,aux...etc give it a try

Posted on Feb 04, 2008

  • groovy128
    groovy128 Feb 06, 2008

    wondering if this solution would require grounding the turn table


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Where do I connect a turntable to the AVR132? Do I require a phono preamp - if so where does this connect into the receiver?

Most amps / receivers that lack an input specifically labeled "Phono" will require a preamp for the low output that originates from turntables with modern, MAGNETIC cartridges. If your cartridge is a *much* older (1960 ~1985) CERAMIC type, it will not likely need a preamp as the output is greater than a magnetic type.

You should select an unused stereo (left & right) INPUT device such as "VID2" Connect the output of the preamp to these jacks and the turntable should be connected to the preamp input as per manufacturer's instructions.

Oct 23, 2015 | Audio & Video Receivers

2 Answers

Pluging in a turntable

I dont understand why you would want to connect a turntable into your phone. Can you explain?

Mar 30, 2008 | Audio & Video Receivers

1 Answer

I have a new set up and i need a step by step instruction on how to set up the mixer to the amp and the decks to the mixer/amp

if this is a dj type set up, the mixer should have a main output (RCA or XLR), that is what you connect to the input on the amp, each deck should have RCA outputs, depending on if they are turntables or cd players, plug the turntables into the phono channel inputs on the mixer and if they are cd players, plug them into the line inputs on the mixer

Mar 28, 2011 | Audio & Video Receivers

1 Answer

Can I connect a turntable to my Sony mhc nx3av system which I got 12/13 years ago and it is great. Will it be accessed via the MD option? And must I get a turntable with a pre-amp? Thanks in...

YES, you can not only connect a turntable but also a VCR or DVD player or other analog audio sources using either of the top two RCA INPUT jacks on your unit. Now, for a turntable, you will need to buy a pre-amp because typically a turntable provides too low a signal level for most components to handle. These pre-amps cost $35 and up. Most turntables do not provide a pre-amp. Usually an amplifier or receiver will contain the pre-amp and have PHONO inputs specifically for a turntable. So you are correct, you need a pre-amp of some kind. Be sure to select the inputs on your Sony where you connected the turntable when you want to play records. Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2011 | Audio & Video Receivers

1 Answer

Will I be able to hook up a turntable to this?

no/ turn tables dont have passive sound output unlike dvd players they need a connection that is 200% more powerfull than an dvd input the only and cheapest way to fix this problem is to buy a cheap audio mixer plug the turntable into the phono of the mixer and the mixer ouput into the video input and it will work great need more advice feel free to email me

good luck

Jun 25, 2010 | KLH R5100 Receiver

1 Answer

Output from Denon D-700?

Hi ...

If there's a tape monitor in/out on the D700,turn the tape monitor on and connect the "Play out" phono jacks on the 700 to the line-in on the computer. Spark up the turntable and you should be able to listen to the vinyl on the PC while recording.

Nov 21, 2008 | Denon AVR-1803 Receiver

1 Answer

How to connect turntable Technics SL BD20 to marantz SR7000 amp

Most recievers should have Phono Jacks labled on the back. That is where my Turntable an (MCS made by Technics but was sold under the J. C. Penneys name) connects on my JVC. I have 2 JVC 's One is old (1972) and one is new. Both of them have Phono jacks. Phono stands for Phonograph. This is an old term for turntables. The jacks should accept RCA patch cords. Good luck.

Apr 21, 2008 | Audio & Video Receivers

1 Answer

Audio Connection For GT-USB Turntable

The red/white plugs on the cable are called "RCA jacks", you'll need to get an adapter which will convert the rca jacks into one stereo pin jack to plug into the input jack of your computer

Apr 02, 2008 | Audio & Video Receivers

1 Answer


Can you please update this with your connections. I assume that you are connecting the turntables to the mixer? Verify that the mixer is set to send out true stereo. What mixer are you using?
Note that most mixers "pan" all of the channels to the center sending out mono to the left and right. In most live shows, it makes no sense to send out true stereo. The left and right are for the speaker chains. In order to get true stereo out of the mixer, you wil need to pan the input channel for the left side all the way to the left and the input for the right channel to the right.

Mar 17, 2008 | Audio & Video Receivers

Not finding what you are looking for?
Harman Kardon AVR 100 Logo

523 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Harman Kardon Audio & Video Receivers Experts

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

The Knight
The Knight

Level 3 Expert

68323 Answers

Electro Med Services...
Electro Med Services...

Level 3 Expert

5653 Answers

Are you a Harman Kardon Audio and Video Receiver Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides