Wireless internet connection
A couple of things you should check:
1. Has the "wireless internet user" enabled his Internet Sharing? If yes, how has is this user sharing it with you, through an AP/Router?
2. If he is using an AP/Router, are there any security settings enabled such as WEP, WPA, or MAC Filter? If yes, you have to get the security key and enter it into your configuration.
3. Is the DHCP Server in the AP/Router enabled?
4. If yes to #3, have you made your networking "Obtain an IP Address Automatically?
5. If no, you have to get/set the allowed IP address that you can use, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway and DNS Servers;
6. Can you ping the AP/Router or at least the "wireless internet" user IP Address. To ping, Start, Run, type "cmd", type "ping IP add of wireless internet user and/or AP/Router;
7. In your browser, enable Auto detect proxy settings for this connection;
Pls post back with:
a. How do you connect, a wifi card/USB or built-in?
b. What AP/Router are you connecting to?
c. What browser are you using, IE, Mozilla, Opera?
Hope this be of some help/idea. Good luck and kind regards.
Sep 19, 2007 |
Compaq Armada M700 Notebook