Brand new Kenmore washing has burning plastic smell
We are on our third washing machine in one week. The last one was completely ruined upon delivery - from ApplianceSmart. Needed new transmission, stuff was jammed, apparently dropped, etc. We returned it and went to Sears to buy a Kenmore.
They delivered and installed it today, and I am again smelling that burning or hot plastic smell when the cycle goes from rinse to spin.
How can the same thing be happening to a brand new washer the day I get it? This is my third washing machine in one week that hasn't worked from the start......
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Considering the info you`ve provided, specific to the history of replacing the drive coupling. You stated that right after replacing the coupling it started to smoke or as you said "I started to smell a burning smell". Can you identify if it was electrical, or was it rubber/plastic ?
I`ve seen these coupling`s when not put on correctly start to rub against the motor or the transmission, you might want to double check your work with installing the coupling.
Aside from that it could possibly be the motor, but if it agitates and manages to advance through the wash & rinse cycle up to the spin, I`d be skeptical of a motor problem. You should check to make sure the lid switch is being fully closed, in the event it isn`t closed properly the unit will do everything except spin.
Go to the sub section with the brake/clutch/motor/gearcase and item # 13 is the motor coupler between the motor and transmission.
It has three parts. 1. A plastic piece with three prongs fits on the transmission input shaft. 2. A plastic piece with three prongs fits on the motor output shaft and 2. a RUBBER grommet with 6 holes fits between them.
Over time, the rubber piece can wear and the two plastic pieces can rub against it at speed causing a rubber burning smell.
Replacing one is easy.
Remove the cabinet, the pump (2 clips) the motor (two screws and clips) and the motor mounting bracket (two 1/2: bolts).
Remove the rubber piece and pry off the two plastic pieces. Fit the new plastic pieces on the transmission and motor shafts. Replace the mounting plate. Carefully line up the six holes as you put the motor back on.
Replace the motor mounting clips, the pump and clips and cabinet.
i would let it sit for an hour. more than likley what happened was the motor overheated a little because it was trying to spin in an off balance situation. give it a break for a while the next load that you do keep an eye on it and see if you smell anything if you do then you have a problem. But 99% it is ok.
it sounds like he did not install the new coupler correctly. if it is not installed correctly it will rub on itself and burn some of the rubber. it will also make the part fail sooner. the part looks like this.
the rubber piece between the 2 plastic pieces is what is being pinched. the "professional" should redo the job. the coupler only costs him about $5.00 and it only takes 10 minutes to change.