Purchased from HOME DEPOT includeded in a kitchen remodeling project 2 years ago. Microwave shut down one day while in use...upon restart it began making a crackeling sound. We have not used since feeling it may be unsafe. Saw many others with the same problem...could there be a major issue with these things?
An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: GE Microwave Problem
Can you explain, in more detail, how it "Shut Down"? How did you "Restart"? Just be pressing START? Can you describe the "Crackeling Sound"? Does it still heat? Was there any Burning Smell?
Good News is: Your Magnetron is still in the Warranty Period.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Alcohol evaporates. Put a few drops of alcohol in a paper cup and leave it overnight. It should be gone in less than a day. A year should evaporate a lot of alcohol. If you want to be extra safe and you're tech-savvy, open the case carefully and look for moisture. Otherwise, plug it in somewhere relatively safe and try it (fire extinguisher Class C or ABC handy. -- You need an BC in the kitchen anyway. http://garages.about.com/od/toolsmaterials/a/fire_extinguisher.htm). Once tested, put the microwave where you need it.
if microwave is counting down but no heat you either have a loose connection at the magnatron tube or the thermal cut out fuse that is connected to the magnatron has blown or you have a micro switch, that has failed
Probably a short inside the microwave circuitry. I had a Daewoo and had nothing but trouble with it. Main board went out in a year, then again in another year. Finally went to Home Depot where I bought it and was told that they had nothing but trouble with them and quit selling them. Now I have a GE Spacemaker.
Not at all. You can just order a new rack support (or a whole set of them).
You can usually find
helpful exploded view diagrams and order
entering your full model number here. Quite
often this arcing is due to grease or food particles stuck between the holder and the hole it goes into, etc. If the cavity metal of
the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and
clean and dried thoroughly.
Then you can apply some
high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart,
Lowe's or Builder's Square.
happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your
thoughtful rating of our answer.
Try disconnecting the power line from the microwave ad then reinstalling it after a few minutes.. then try heating up a small cup of water.. allow 1.5 minutes on high power. it should get very hot or boil.. if it doesn't get warm or hot then you may have a bad magnetron ( the tube that produces the microwave energy that causes things to heat up or a bad filament transformer that is required for the magnetron to work.In either case, if it fails to heat anything, I would go back to home depot and insist they send someone out to address the problem. many of their appliances come with a one year warranty but you might want to call the store and ask someone there about normal applaince coverage ( less extended warranty) and what they normally offer. An inquiry costs nothing..
Sounds like you could have a fauly control circuit. Something like when you press the pad the processor does not interpret the information correctly and resets itself. Or the power going to this circuit is being interupted. It is VERY dangerous to work inside of a microwave. So you could get an estimate from a repair shop. But those control boards are expensive. Do not attempt to repair this yourself. For your own safety.