An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: microwave no heat
The "HUMM" indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. The loud "POP" was the breakdown. You have only four Components in the High Voltage side.
1. High Voltage Transformer. You can eliminate this as the problem. Why? If it was the problem it would have blown the line fuse, and would have given off a burned transformer smell.
2. High Voltage Diode. Usually will Burn or Pop when shorted, but will then OPEN the Circuit and there is no "HUMM".
3. High Voltage Capacitor.This is the Silver Can with the two terminals on top. It can SHORT internaly between the plates (the two terminals) and give the "HUMM".
4. Magnetron. This is my number one suspect. A SHORTED Magnetron.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
In all likelihood the mangnetron has failed, or
perhaps even the Power Supply. or a fault that is shutting the system down for
safety reasons You need to have it serviced by a reputable service centre/man. Ensure you get a firm "Quote" before
proceeding, and remember these days the cost of repair can equal or exceed the
price of a new one.
My Kenmore 721.63259301 would not heat items up so I came here and saw
the parts required and was just about to order them when I checked the
online owners manual and found this. FULL FIVE-YEAR WARRANTY ON
THE MAGNETRON For five years from the date of purchase, if the
magnetron in this Kenmore microwave oven
fails due to a defect in material or workmanship,
Sears will repair it free of charge.
My microwave has a manufacture date of July 2009 so I will be taking it
right to the closest Sears repair center for a free repair. I suggest
everyone do the same.
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food.
The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven.
Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace
the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing.
There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the
magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper
electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have
to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly
lengthy process however.
We see this a lot. The problem is almost certainly on the control panel, which we regularly repair nationwide for $39.95 postpaid.
This light failure often occurs when a bulb goes out and the filament shorts, or when the bulbs are removed or installed without first unplugging the oven from the power line. Either can cause such a failure on the controller.
Details of our service and critical safety information and disassembly information is at our site, linked here on Fixya: http://tinyurl.com/yzjozk
We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.