Hello again. I just got the laser of my Slim PS2 replaced, but for some reason it won't spin any of my discs. I tried adjusting the pots and still no luck. The discs still spin with the old one however, but I want the new one to work.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Disc won't spin after replacing laser
Have you replaced the laser yourself? before installing it you should remove a soldered joint on the laser, it is just like two points soldered together, just desolder that and put it back, it will work. Good luck
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Is that the only disc you seem to be having the problem with?? If so try getting the disc repair kit and using that. I had the same problem with mine but it was only some of the discs. The ps2 slim can be very sensitive and even the slightest defect in a disc will cause it not to recognize there is even a disc there.
There are THREE reasons that a Slim PS2 will not read discs. I willstart from most common and end at the least common (almost rare)problem.
1. A bad laser. Lasers labor on Playstation 2 [and all other videogame] consoles. They eventually fail, especially if you use your PS2as a DVD player. You can find Slim PS2 lasers at the followingwebsite. They are pretty simple to replace:
2. There are two "lid closed" sensors on the Slim Playstation 2. Theylet the PS2 know that the lid is shut and it should scan for a disc. Sometimes one or both of these sensors can become broken. It doesn'treally happen by itself... usually if someone drops the console, one orboth of the sensors can break or become dislodged.
3. A Bad Motherboard: This is rare. We mostly see this if someoneinstalled a mod chip into the system and it eventually fails.
Click into the following website for Do It Yourself troubleshooting todetermine why your PS2's discs aren't spinning, and how to fix it.
There are 4 reasons a disc won't spin on the Slim PSP. The most common is a failed laser.
1. Failed laser -- the disc will not spin up to speed, or not spin at all, due to a bad laser. If you close the PS2 with no disc inside, the ps2 will never spin the disc. If you chose the PS2 with a disc inside but a bad laser, it still thinks no disc is inside and will not spin.
2. Lid closed sensors. There are two of them. One on the motherboard and one on the reset switch. These sensors let the PS2 know that the lid is closed. If one or both of these break, the disc will never spin because the PS2 will think the lid is still open.
3. Damaged case. If the case of the PS2 is damaged, the two parts of the lid that are supposed to press the lid-closed sensors will never press them.
For more information, pictures, and parts, click into the following page:
Well, there is 2 switch. one at the back left of the cd tray and one one the reset /power switch.
both sitch have to be close in order for the disk to spin.
If you try this dont forget to put a disk on the spindle as you will start the laser. this is for your safety.
then, if the disk does not spin, then you can try replacing the laser. or at least verify the ribbon cable that is hook to it. if the ribbon cable is not well inside the plug the laser might move but again the disk won t spin.
it is related to each other, the PS2 seem to verify the laser prior to start the spindle so what ever happend to the laser affect the spindle.
and then, if you buy a new laser lens, don't forget to remove the soldering bridge. it is a small ball that is use to avoid static while shiping the lens.
most of the seller will include a small peace of paper with procedure and also there is web site with picture of this soldering bridge.
I replace some of them, and I have to say that the small plastic lock for the ribbon cable to the lens has been an issue and the soldering bridge another one.
but I got most of the PS2 back and running by replacing the laser.
I hope this will help you.
you will have to buy a new laser motor you can buy them on the net and they are easy enough to fit this is a commen problem most people throw the ps2 away as they think it cant be repaired but they can they r reasonably priced but a lot cheaper then buying another ps2 you should be able to fit it yourself it is easy enough a computer repairman out of the local papers will do it for you if you dont think you can do it i have seen them for sale on ebay maybe you try their first easy to do 30 min job hope this helps you out