Question about Projection Televisions

1 Answer

RCA r52wh74 My screen now looks like a 3d movie with out the glasses. A technician came out an told me it was my power converter and wanted $300 to fix. If I can find some where to buy the part I can do it myself. Where can UI locate a parts break down for this model I have the same 3d thing going on. I was trying to figure out where in the back of the TV this part is located. I had the extended warrenty on my TV....but Smart Plan doesn't have anyone to send to fix it in my area. If I can fix it myself..that would be great! I looked in the back of the TV and don't immediately see anything that looks like the part you referenced for the other person-- STK392-150. Can you tell me where it is located on this RCA model R52wh74? Thanks!!!

Posted by on

  • Terri T Feb 01, 2008

    Part of the post that I sent included some of the posting that I was reading when I replied...not sure how that happened. I didnt get anyone to come out here because like I said...Smart Plan didnt have anyone that could come and fix my TV even though I had the extended warrenty. But it sounds like its not possible for me to fix on my own. I have never soldered anything in my life :) I just thought it might be something that plugs into the tv's guts somehwere that I could replace myself.


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 4,102 Answers

Hi the problem you are having is a common one dont know what the repair bloke told you but your problem is with the convergance ic their are two of them located inside your telly the are located on two metal heatsinks sticking up out of the board the parts start with stk they might have a clip round them holfing them onto the heatsink these need removing to see the part number.
When you get the part number google it and it will locate the people who sells them part numbers for you these parts are not user repairable they should only be replaces by a pro as when you solder them in you cant let them overhear as this will blow the ics again but if you are confident in doing the repair then you will need a multimeter as well to check any resistors that might have also blown ok if you need further assistance let me know ok

Posted on Feb 01, 2008

  • paul proctor Feb 01, 2008

    Oh just one more thing if you cant locate the part inside your telly then you will need to download the schematics so use something like and type in
    schematics for then give make and model number this should then locate the schematics for you the schem will also give you test points on the circuit board to test for any faults so have a look for this ok this should be what you locate first as following the schematics will save you loads of time locating the faults

  • paul proctor Feb 01, 2008

    H no these parts need soldering and if you dont disperse the heat from the solder you could blow the chips whilst soldering them in so its best left to someone who has done this before


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I turned My tv on and the top of the screen has red, green, and blue swirl lines, and the rest of it looks like watching a 3D movie without glasses, and the picture looks as if you took out the screen and...

The tv have a problems known as a convergence pictures problems,it is dead.Tv have any colors lines R,G,B mis alignments,have colors shadows pictures or pictures look like 3D?Yes,than the tv convergence board it is dead.The tv convergence board must have it components parts replaced like 2 STK convergence ICS and some or all of it resistors too.To fixed the tv convergence board to solved the tv convergence pictures problems.The tvs shops will cost u like $300-$350 for parts and labors.

Aug 11, 2011 | RCA D52W19 52" Rear Projection Television

1 Answer

Convergence box is out - the picture is like looking at a 3D movie without the glasses.

There are two common problems with these sets.

Problem #1) Convergence

  • Screen Looks 3D
  • Colors wont align
  • Video may look distorted
Problem #2 CRT Fluid has clouded over. Symtoms
  • Dull looking video
  • White looking video
  • Halos around objects
  • Red/Orange looking video

You can see some examples and find a fix here...


Oct 23, 2009 | RCA R52WH73 Projection Television

1 Answer

My rca 52'' flat screen tv

It sounds like your TV needs to be aligned. There should be a menu item in your setup menu called "Alignment". Once you choose this the system will either automatically align itself, or the screen will display a graphic that will allow you to align the guns manually. Normally you will move either up or down or side to side until 2 separate lines look like one.

Jul 14, 2009 | Projection Televisions

1 Answer

Screen showing lots of colors caving in on top

You have no power to your convergence circuit. Depending on what model RCA you have will determine which parts are bad. Will cost about $200-$300 for a repair shop to repair.

Jul 08, 2009 | Projection Televisions

1 Answer

Problem with my rca projection television


Mar 16, 2009 | RCA HD52W59 HDTV Projection Television

1 Answer

RCA R52WH74 Picture is sagging, looks 3d, and double picture

Go to menu then setup look for convergence if you do not see convergence then you have A open FUSE It will be on right side of FBT flyback transfomer there is 3 of them in a roll they are small brown rectrangler looking caps but ARE FUSES it will be the one in the middle. Replace it and you have a FIXYA.

Feb 19, 2009 | RCA R52WH73 Projection Television

1 Answer

Picture looks like 3D without 3D glasses on???

The cost I don't know, but this can be fixed. I'd say shop around a bit. Make sure the repair person is certified for your TV's manufacturer. There are generally 3 lamps in projection T.V.'s, Red, Green, and Blue. They have to be aligned for the TV to project a clear picture. A credible TV repairman should be able to fix it. Depending on if it's new enough to be under warranty they may cover it as well. Really the only reason to get rid of it is if you want to get a new TV anyway. Depends on the cost of having the lamps aligned.

Dec 30, 2008 | RCA HD52W59 HDTV Projection Television

1 Answer

Picture in 3d without the 3d glasses

Replace 2 convergence chips, will start with stk ###-###

Oct 02, 2008 | RCA D52W20 52" Rear Projection HDTV-Ready...

1 Answer


have you looked on ebay

Jun 19, 2008 | RCA D52W19 52" Rear Projection Television

2 Answers

RCA r52wh74

Sounds like a convergence IC issue. are the red and blue colors out of alignment making it look like 3 images? If so you need new Convergence ICs. You wil need two of them they cost about 10.00 each They are STK394-040 you can get them at the following link. It shows a picture of your ICs
If you need anything further please let me know.

Jan 23, 2008 | Projection Televisions

Not finding what you are looking for?
Projection Televisions Logo

Related Topics:

75 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Projection Televisions Experts

Jaime Hernandez

Level 3 Expert

2267 Answers

matt martin
matt martin

Level 3 Expert

1191 Answers


Level 3 Expert

60541 Answers

Are you a Projection Television Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides