I have a Tascam 2488 that stop working. I get the following message: "Device error, CODE: 04, SDRAM Initialize Error".
The only thing that comes on is the display with this message after 15 - 20 seconds. There is no hard drive activity at all. No other light comes on. Please advice on what the problem is. Is there anything I can do to fix it besides taking it to an authorized service repair center. I tried to look for the error code but could find it. Has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a repair manual for the T2488?
I had the same problem. I sent it back to my place of purchase and they sent it to an authorised Tascam repairer. Unfortunately they sent it back twice saying it was fixed when it wasn't. They then decided it needed a ne main board which was going to cost $800 AUS, excluding any labour to install it. In the end I got angry and went straight to the TASCAM distributor and told them my problem and that it was unnaceptable that such an expensive unit needs a new main board in such a short space of time. To my surprise they came back and agreed to replce the main board for fee and the service repair centre did not charge me either. DON'T pay for this. It is obviously some problem with the unit. RING TASCAM in your area or the authorised distributor.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
System error code:01
on my Tascam 2488 neo
Turns out it was a hard drive error. I tried everything. I used the "Quick Routing/Shift/Send/ShutDown" trick where you press all four buttons at once and keep them pressed down throughout while you power on the unit util you see a message saying "System Reset Complete. Now Power Down". Numerous times it came on and said stuff like "creating partition," "creating song" and "now working" but it always ended with "System Error Code:01". That trick is upposed to reset system par?meters to default and erase everything from the hard drive and reset the hard drive. I even removed the hard drive, hooked it up to my Windows 10 PC and used Windows utils to reate and/or delete partitions and both "quick" and regular format. I also tried all the hard drive utils from the manufacturers like a formatting and a scrubbing util etc.,.nothing ?orked until I downloaded, inst?lled ?nd used a low level format utility called "Hard Disk Low Level Format Tool," its installation file is called "HDDLLFsetup.4.40.exe" which is available from mul?iple internet sites, just search for it. Here is how to repair your Tascam hard drive or prepare any new hard drive for installtion or upgrade that is giving endless problems and system error codes on the Tascam:
1. Open your recorder and remove the hard drive from the Tascam. If you're unsure about doing this there is a YouTube video av?iable about how to replace your Tascam 2488 hard drive.
2. Connect that drive by any means available to your laptop or PC. I used a USB to SATA ad?pter and connected it to my laptop, I also successfully did this using my desktop PC.
3. Run the "HDDLLFsetup.4.40.exe" application and install it.
4. Now use the newly installed "Hard Disk Low Level Format Tool" utility.
5. Select your hard drive then the low level format tab and don't sele?t the "quick" option, make sure it does a full low level format. It'll be slow and t?ke some time. Any hard dive prepared like this will ?ork in the Tasc?m except incompatible or damaged hard drives.
6. Reinstall hard drive into Tascam and simply power on the Tasc?m. Do not use any special boot up tricks with any key combinations, just turn it on.
7. Select "yes" when asked if you want to form?t the drive. W?it a few seconds until it completes cre?ting and working. It should boot up to normal use mode and be ready for recording within 3 minutes. If yours takes longer your hard drive may be damaged and need replacing. I tried other hard drive utilities from Hitachi, Seagate, S?msung and Western Digital but none worked. O?ly the "HDDLLFsetup.4.40.exe" was able to fix the problem.
Never go from a PA (powered (amplified)) speaker signal to the inputs of a recording device. This can severely damage the electronics of the input/preamp. That error code may be getting caused by something else. For more details on how to use digital ins:
this has happened to me too- with different system error codes also not referred to at all in manual !!! i don't know of solution- and have lost the current recording session by having to just turn the device off and hope for the best... i plan on contacting tascam after this project is complete since my unit is still under warranty - GOOD LUCK out there