Question about GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning odor, no heat

Last night I noticed a burning smell coming from my GE spacesaver microwave. In addition to the smell, the unit makes a slightly different noise when running and will not heat food. Any suggestions for cheap fix or do I buy a new one???? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by on

  • Anonymous Mar 23, 2014

    smells of burned food

  • Anonymous Mar 27, 2014

    I'm not sure if it's a burning smell or if it's s smell in the vent from something we cooked. I have a 7yr old, GE over-the-range microwave and we have recently noticed a smell. I don't think it's the typical electrical smell and to me it has a sweet, kind of maple smell. We noticed this shortly after frying some bacon one evening so I wonder if it's from that. I think the bacon was hickory smoked if that makes a difference. I just don't want to trash the microwave if it's not necessary, nor do I want to buy a new one until it's necessary. Thanks

×

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Scholar:

    An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.

    Hot-Shot:

    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 43 Answers

A burning smell along with a different sound (growl) USUALLY indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. This is not a direct short (short circuit) or the line fuse would have blown shutting everything down. The High Voltage Side is made up of-- The Secondary ,or High Voltage Side of The High Voltage Transformer, A High Voltage Diode, A High Voltage Capacitor, and The Magnetron. If The High Voltage Transformer is the problem it will smell like a florescent light ballast burning, and will smell each time you turn on the MW. A HV Diode burns and opens, thus no more smell. A HV Capacitor usually does not burn nor does the Magnetron. There is no Cheap-Fix unless you can see that the HV Diode is burned into and you can get to it to replace. CAUTION: Always unplug from power before attempting to repair. NOTE: If you replace a Diode make sure it goes back in the same direction it came out. Yes there is a front and back.

Posted on Jan 26, 2008

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Burning smell or smell stuck in the vent?


sweet smell from an electrical appliance is ozone cause fir high voltage discharge ( like the sweet smelling air after a lightning strike
take it in for a proper diagnosis

May 31, 2017 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave oven not heating


This a good indicator the magnetron is gone, sometimes leaves odour that is destinctive.

Jun 19, 2012 | GE Profile PVM1790DRCC Microwave

1 Answer

Have ge profile spacesaver xl sensor. will not heat strange buzzing sound and burning smell. clock, light, vent still work


This is most likely a defective magnetron, especially with the burning smell. There are two other parts that can be a problem, the high voltage capacitor and diode, all three work together to heat food. If the magnetron is the culprit, probably cheaper to replace the microwave oven.

Mar 02, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell


the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Aug 17, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Last night my wife accidently turned on the microwave with nothing inside. It probably ran for 15-20 minutes before I noticed a burning smell (burnt wiring) After opening the door I noticed the unit had no...


well I can tell you roughly what happened. You overheated the oven, as there was nothing inside to absorb the radiation. So the sensor shout off the power ( safety switch) It returns when the oven reduces in temperature. The burning may be due to internal damage to some of the insulation compound. It takes foreverf to get rid of smells from microwaves no matter what you use including vanill or some other anti stink medicine. The unit is probably OK but overtime will now begin to deteriorate and may even leak radiation to greater extent.

Dump it is my suggestion, but make sure it is damaged sufficiently to prevent dump rats from salvaging it and using it.

The unusual noise ( almost missed that) is damage to the rotation motor bearins that have been expanded and are now out of alignment.

Too risky!

Jul 31, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

GE Spacesaver JVM 1651 Not heating, making burning smell


Fisrt, check to be sure your missing cat it not inside the unit. IF the interior is dirty (splatters, grease, etc.) , it may inhibit the unit from working properly.

:-)

Nov 22, 2008 | GE JVM1651 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven Logo

1,610 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

vince

Level 3 Expert

1216 Answers

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1181 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...