I have connected the Router to my PC okay. But when I try to connect my laptop - while the availability of the Router is recognised by my laptop - I am told that I need a password or access code to authorise connection. I have studied the instructions and re-installed several times but have not been able to obtain the code or password needed.
Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
As far as I can determine from the information you have provided, all
you have to do is to open the wireless adapter program (application) on
your laptop by clicking on the icon that indicates you have a
connection. Then go to the set-up or what ever they call it and enter
the SSID (network name) and the type of encyption used by your router.
The SSID is already entered as "linksys" as default by your router when
new, so enter "linksys". You may or may not need a password depending
whether or not you use encryption. You should be able to run the
application program for your router on your PC and enter the set-up for
any of the information needed for your router settings.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
An expert that has over 10 points.
An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.
Re: LInksys Broadband Router
You see doesn's the password you created. it needs a passphrase created by the router.
it looks like this
when you set-up your router on your pc try to save the
"wireless security information"
by copying it and paste it to a notepad or where you could put it.
ok? hope I helped you ^.^
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Unplugging the wireless router and connecting it again should not have altered the wireless connection/configuration. You have connected the cables correctly because the Internet works when you connect a LAN cable to the router.
The Linksys wireless configuration or the wireless card configuration in the computer was changed it to lose the wireless connection. The wireless card configuration needs to be changed to match the wireless router's settings or change the Linksys with new configuration settings and configure the wireless card accordingly.
To secure your router with a login password and wireless security, please follow my instructions - click on this link :- http://www.fixya.com/support/r3559128-wireless_router_security
Should you need further assistance, please leave me a comment.
Assuming no other changes to your environment first try restarting everything - from the outside in. Start by restarting the cable/dsl modem, then the router, then the computer - allowing each to completely reset before going to the next.
You might also want to contact the provider to check availability in your area - in case there are known outages in your area.
You need to call Linksys again for them to help you setup the other computer. For the none-working computer, you don't need to run the setup CD for the router. All you need to do is connect to wireless network like what you did on the working laptop.
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.